PDA

View Full Version : Snug Ride Paranoia

sbaker
08-08-2003, 03:51 PM
DH and I are expecting baby #2. I was originally planning to reuse the Graco Snug Ride that I had for DS. Now with yet another recall I am finding myself a little paranoid about using it. I believe that in the last two years Graco has recalled 1.5 million Snug Rides. That's A LOT of "Oooops, silly us, we forgot to put this part in your car seat and if you have an accident your car seat might detach from it's base and harm your child."
So far our model hasn't been subject to any of the recalls. Why does it seem that only the travel system Snug Rides don't get recalled???

Would it be silly of me to buy one of the new Britax infant seats when they come out rather than worry that there's some part Graco forgot to put in my Snug Ride?

I would REALLY appreciate someone else's input on this.
Thanks.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

amp
08-08-2003, 04:28 PM
I completely understand you might be paranoid about the Snugride recalls. This current one is an extention of the previous recall. We own a snugride, which we bought after the first recall. Honestly, the part that is missing in some of the seats, we think would be totally obvious if it were missing. Our seat would not "click" or latch audibly into the base without it. We feel totally safe using our seat. That said, our son is already approaching the height and weight limit on the seat (probably in the next 1-2 mths), so we are considering Britax Marathon. I know a LOT of people use that seat for infants, but I have liked having the Snugride because I felt like it held him more snugly than a convertible seat, and it was portable and worked with my stroller (not purchased as part of a travel system), making it so easy to take him into stores, restaurants, the house, etc. without waking him up.
Just my 2 cents. :7

stillplayswithbarbies
08-08-2003, 07:19 PM
It's a toss-up. Do you go with a known seat with a known track record, or do you go with a new-to-the-market seat with an unproven record. It could have even worse recalls in the future, you just don't know.

Personally, I would trust Britax more than I would trust Graco.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mom2kandj
08-08-2003, 07:49 PM
How do you feel about using the SnugRide without the base? I've noticed a lot of the recall issues involve the locking of the seat into the base. We liked using ours without the base as we always got less movement when the seat was directly strapped in. Our seat has actually gone through 3 kids now(my two + my niece - each child used it for about 4 months) and besides a bit of fading, it is in good condition. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (32 months)
& Jack (16 months)

C99
08-08-2003, 08:06 PM
I don't have a travel system SnugRide and while the seat has been recalled twice since we bought it, my particular model is not on it. And similar to what someone else said, it'd be obvious if it was missing the part. I debated selling my SR and getting a new one for the next child, but figured that I would save money by keeping it.

HTH

egoldber
08-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Actually, all those seats MAY have the issue, but only a very, very small number actually had a problem. A recall is more of a consumer alert to check your seat. But I agree that if your seat had the problem, it would be very obvious. I still have my Graco Snugride that was part of the 2001 recall (but my seat was fine), and I plan to use it again some day.

Another choice is to just use a convertible from day one. They seem to have fewer issues since they have fewer parts (no handle, no base-carrier connection) and hence fewer potential failure points.