PDA

View Full Version : Using LATCH anchors in the middle position

lindy
08-14-2003, 02:07 PM
I just got back from buying my car seat - I settled on a Snug Ride because it fit my car much better than the Latch Loc. While I was trying out seats, I noticed for the first time that my car just has four lower anchors, not six. The anchors are spaced so that they are the right distance apart for the rigid attachments in the outboard positions, but the space between the middle two anchors (in the middle position) is wider by about two or three inches. As a result, the Latch Loc, with it's rigid attachments, could only be attached in the outboard positions. The SnugRide fit fine in the middle, but I wonder if I'm not supposed to use it that way. Is it safe to use the latch anchors with the extra two inches in between so that I can use the middle position? Do most cars have six anchors so that you can use the middle position?

Boy, this just gets more complicated every day and the baby's not even here yet!

LucyG
08-14-2003, 02:16 PM
We had the same situation with our 2001 Accord. After rereading the car owner's manual, we determined that the LATCH capabilities are only for the outboard positions (in our car). So, we are just using our LATCH-equipped Snugride with the seatbelt. We tried it outboard with LATCH, but it seems more secure in the middle with the seatbelt instead.

Joolsplus2
08-14-2003, 02:51 PM
no, only very few cars have 6 anchors...most don't have them in the center....just use the seatbelt to get a good install in the center, like Lucy did. (don't use both, it's not recommended)
Scroll down a bit for quite a few posts on this issue...it's coming up a lot lately (too bad car makers didn't ASK parents what they wanted! lol)

peanut4us
08-14-2003, 05:09 PM
When we test drove a Passat earlier this week, I asked about the LATCH positioning, and told the salesguy that I wasn't stoked about no lower anchors in the middle... and he was like, "well, it'll work just fine on the outboards." I said, I'm sure it will, but the safest place for my DD is in the middle.

Melaniee
08-15-2003, 03:51 PM
That's the same issue we have with our Matrix and our Civic. You'd think the manufacturers would do their research before designing a car.