PDA

View Full Version : When does a booster seat make sense vs. a convertible?

loungeboykip
08-16-2003, 10:34 AM
So, I've been shopping for a car seat for my in-laws to use, and I've noticed for the first time that a lot of so-called booster seats have a minimum weight of 20 lbs. Well, my DD is 21 lbs and 13-months-old.

My question is: Why buy a convertible when they're just going to be in a booster seat any way?

Wouldn't it make sense for me to buy a booster now for my in-laws since they only take her out in the car infrequently?

Joolsplus2
08-16-2003, 11:04 AM
It's a great way to go, if you're ready for her to forward face, even ocassionally. The page I linked you to last time had covertibles AND combos....pick among any of them except the evenflo chase/express, which IS too big for her, (it's very poorly designed for kids too short for the second slots....it won't get tight on them, and at 13 months, the second slots might be higher than her ears, lol!) http://www.car-safety.org/carseats.html

mom2kandj
08-16-2003, 03:15 PM
My DD was 20 months when we got new carseats to accommodate #2! We actually had 3 Century Accels(same as Graco Comfort Sport), but knew that we needed at least one new seat so that each parent's car had a seat for each kid. I went ahead and got a combo booster - Century NextStep but didn't really pay much attention to the fit with my child in it! At 20 months, she was barely 23 lbs and the seat was a touch too roomy for her. We noticed that the combo boosters are not as cushy and sit more upright than convertibles. Also, when DD was asleep, there was more room for her head to flop around. That being said, DD fits much better in her seat now at 32 months. In fact, DS who is only 16 months and 25 lbs has ridden in that seat and fits okay. My advice to you is to put your DD in all the seats and find out what fits her, then take the seats that fit her and see if they fit your car. Also, make sure that the seat is user friendly so that the grandparents don't get too frustrated by the seat! Good luck!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (32 months)
& Jack (16 months)