PDA

View Full Version : PP Viaggio andan Audi Allroad

Katie_Lanouette
08-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Hello All,

I have another PP Viaggio question.

I just had the local ambulance company install my car seat in my Audi Allroad. Where the car seat base attaches to latches (by babies feet) is really tight. But the end where the babies head is not attached to the car in any way and has alot of give to it. The car seat technician said it was supposed to be this way that the seat will take the impact of a crash and not the baby. So it should be loose up by the babies head.

Well I just saw a friend of mine and showed her the seat and she said her car seat never had that much give.

And then my husband looked at the seat again and he could flip the entire car seat up with his hand.

How is the infant car seat supposed to fit? Does anyone else have this problem with the PP Viaggio?

Thanks so much for all your help I love this message board!
Katie edd 9/27/2003

Joolsplus2
08-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Here's a quote from www.cpsafety.com: >>>The first U.S. infant restraint, which is the model for subsequent ones, did not use a tether in either direction nor a shoulder belt, but it worked very well. During development, the engineers observed that it turned over toward the vehicle seatback after a crash test and, largely in order to justify what happened anyway, they called this the "cocoon effect." There was also some justifiable concern that the small infant's neck might be injured on rebound or rear-impact unless the restraint were allowed to freely rotate in this direction. Justified or not, this concept has remained and seems to make intuitive sense. The counter-argument that the infant's head will "slam" into the seatback and be injured on rebound has not been validated in nearly 30 years of accident experience<<< http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/BraceTether.aspx

So, although it seems unstable and possibly dangerous, it is perfectly safe.
Later, when the baby moves to a convertible seat rearfacing, you may want to consider a Britax seat, which can be tethered rearfacing to prevent that rebound movement, which is more important as children get older and heavier...but for now, if it's tight at the beltpath or where the lower anchors go, it's fine :)

Katie_Lanouette
08-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Julie,

Thanks so much I feel much better now!

Katie edd 9/27/2003