PDA

View Full Version : Britax Advantage for $220 vs. Britax Marathon

scubagear
08-20-2003, 01:34 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Britax Advantage for $220 at my local baby store and don't know if I should go for it or not! What I like about the Advantage is the knob that you turn to adjust the straps (I'm new to this so I don't know if it really is such a great feature or not though!)

On the other hand, I have also been thinking about purchasing the Marathon because I like that it goes up to 65lbs. (Advantage only goes up to 40lbs.)

Any thoughts or input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Joolsplus2
08-20-2003, 02:36 PM
The dial height adjuster is a nice feature, but most of us live without it and aren't inconvenienced...it's easy to change the slot height on a britax, even when it's installed rearfacing! Considering you can get a Marathon for as low as $209, and I've seen a lot of $217s lately...even listed on this board...and it will last SO much longer. I'd go with the Marathon (In fact, I bought one for my 3 year old specifically so she could ride rearfacing again...she's almost 4, 31 pounds, and STILL likes rearfacing, and fits with lots of room...and will fit for another couple of years, till she's mature enough to ride in a belt positioning booster)
HTH,
Julie

babykate
08-23-2003, 05:23 AM
Is it recommended to keep kids rear-facing as long as possible? I thought we were supposed to turn them around at 1 as long as they were big enough.

CPSDarren
08-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Rear-facing is definitely the safest way to travel, especially for babies and young toddlers. The 1 year/20 pounds "rule" is a minimum, it is safest to keep them rear-facing longer. Also:

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org

Joolsplus2
08-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Yes, rearfacing to the limits of the convertible seat (till the 30 or 33 or 35 pound weight or the top of the head is to the top of the seatback) is the safest :) http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

marybliss
08-23-2003, 08:07 PM
We love our Advantage with the adjusting straps. It's nice to take just a second and turn the nob to bring the straps up higher. Is it necessary? No, just convenient. But, for about the same money, get the Marathon... it'll last longer.