PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Nissan Xterra? Questions about LATCH

cagirl7
08-20-2003, 05:54 PM
I have a 2000 Xterra that does not have LATCH. I just ordered the LATCH kit from Nissan but I'm confused. I read in BBB that not all LATCH kits work w/ all car seats. I also read that the teathers only work forward facing but my infant seat is rear facing yet has LATCH. I have the Peg viaggio infant seat. I'm confused...anyone know how this works when buying LATCH kits for vehicles w/o LATCH...

D

Joolsplus2
08-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Here's the scoop: there are 2 parts to LATCH...the Lower Anchors, and the top Tether.
Your carseat has a belt with hooks on it that go to the Lower Anchors....BUT...Your car does not have those, and they can NOT be added.
What you are going to be getting is the top Tether anchor, and you will use that a couple years down the road when your baby is forward facing.
For now, you will only use the seatbelt to install your carseat base, so just find a way to secure the LATCH belt out of the way so it doesn't swing around or get tangled in something.

Your seat will be VERY safe if you install the base nice and tight with the seatbelt (read both manuals, there will be information on how your seatbelts work and installation tips).

You'll have to wait for your next car to get lower LATCH anchors...they weren't required in cars till 2002 for most models, but like I said, installing a carseat with the seatbelt is VERY safe when done correctly :)

Here's some more info on LATCH http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html