PDA

View Full Version : What Convertible to get? Suggestions?

KMommie
08-29-2003, 04:56 PM
MIL has had my nephew's old infant seat installed in her car since DD was BORN. Obviously, she was very hopeful that DD would be taking car rides with her. Never happened, though. :P She also has a FF AO for my nephew in her car, a Toyota Camry.

Now that I'm back to work part-time, she is our MAIN emergency contact with the day care center. If DH or I cannot go get DD, MIL is the one they will contact for pick up. It is quite possible that she will get a phone call to come and get DD at some point. Also, she baby-sits occaisionally, and she's always wanting to take DD OUT, to show her off to friends, etc.

So, here's the thing---After DD's 4 month checkup, I realized that she's VERY close to the weight and probable height limit of the Evenflo infant seat in MIL's car. DD weighed in at 17 pounds, 13 ounces and 25 1/2 inches. I'm going to put her in the Evenflo to see if she still has 1"+ room at the top, but obviously she's going to outgrow it, before she could possibly be FF, and I've already stated to MIL that I would prefer DD to stay RF as long as possible (we're hoping for 3 years or more).

MIL's already looked at the RA (that's what we have and she likes to buy what her grandchildren are "used" to). She bought her own AO for her grandson, so I think she thought about buying her own RA for DD. But she nearly choked at seeing the pricetag. I had to explain WHY I bought such an expensive carseat. HMmm, safety? Ease of use?

So, DH and I are thinking of buying another Convertible for me to use, and give her our nonLATCH RA. We plan on getting another car within a year or two, and I'd really like to have another LATCH---currently we have 1 LATCH car and seat and 1 nonLATCH car and seat. The LATCH is just so much easier to install!

So, what should we go with? Given, that my hopeful aspiration is to keep DD RF for 3 years, and I currently drive a Toyota Corolla (which the RA fits in, since it's just me and DD) but will probably get a larger car next year---Also, I haven't checked yet, but I assumed that the RA would fit with the AO in the backseat of MIL's Camry---a bad assumption?

Thanks for your input!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

Joolsplus2
08-29-2003, 05:24 PM
I'm sure both (RA and AO) would fit outboard just fine in her Camry.
If you want to go extended RF, why not just get the Marathon or Wizard now? You can use it with just the seatbelts, of course, and mine fits in the smaller Prius just fine RF.
If your budget is really strapped, then check out the Evenflo Triumph, Graco ComfortSport, or the new Touriva or Regal Ride.

:)