PDA

View Full Version : Very confused about carseats and install: Graco SnugRide and Britax???

liberalbu
05-19-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm hoping someone can help me. This is very confusing, but I figure I should give you the full story! I purchased a Graco SnugRide for my daughter who was born around christmas time. We went to a local police station to have it installed and checked in our 2004 Subaru Outback. The tech there installed it behind the passenger seat because the manual said to put it there and we have LATCH in the two outboard positions. I had hoped to have it in the middle for safety, but he attempted to put it there and said he didn't have any luck (there is a slight hump in the middle, don't know if that is the reason).

After my daughter was born, we went to leave the hospital, sure that our install was correct since it had been done by a pro. Well, the tech at the hospital said the install was horrible (???) and he re-did it and made it fit in the middle using the inside latches from the two outboard latch positions. It seems secure although I question what the problem was in the first place!

Anyway, now we are shopping for a convertible carseat. We are likely going to go with either the Marathon or Wizard (any preferences???) I'm wondering where I should attempt to have this car seat installed as the last time, two techs had completely different opinions! I'd of course prefer it in the middle, but I wonder why the manual says to install it on the outboard positions. I'm guessing that's because the LATCH is there- but the second tech seemed to think the center install was just fine. I know there are some knowledgeable people here, so I thought I'd ask!!!!

Lauren

Joolsplus2
05-19-2004, 11:22 AM
I think I trust the first tech more...but I'm not sure either was fantastic...
You must never use the middle LATCHES if the car manual AND the seat manual approve it, no matter how tight it seems. So, the second tech disregarded Graco's manual. Not cool. I doubt your dd is in grave danger, but she IS the crash test dummy for this scenario...ugh!

Britax, on the other hand, allows installation with the center LATCHes IF Subaru approves it, AND the latches are between 11 and 20 inches apart. The MA/WZ are also usually quite easy to install in most positions (the base is smaller than the snugride, so it may work terrific in the middle..can't promise that, but odds are better that it will).
Just in case a center install is simply not going to work, you may feel more comfortable with the side impact protection offered by the Wizard, though all 5-pt harness seats are very safe in all positions.

Anyway, I wonder if you want to skip the tech this time? You can do just as good a job, better, even, if you read the manuals thoroughly...and a good tech never actually installs the seat for you, they make you do it yourself, so there's no question in your mind that you are perfectly capable. Of course, if you run into any weird problems, they sometimes know some good tricks for getting the seat in right.....

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

liberalbu
05-19-2004, 11:53 AM
I can't believe all of the misinformation out there!!! Thanks so much for your help. Do you think until I get the Britax, I should just attempt a center install with the lapbelt, or move it to the outboard position using LATCH correctly?

I know in the Subaru manual they say to install the carseat using LATCH in the outboard position, but they don't say much about a center install. Is there someone I should call?

Thanks again!
Lauren

Joolsplus2
05-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Ugh, I know...how can anyone expect parents to get it right, when the techs can't even figure it out? Don't even get me started...lol.

Anyway, you can *try* calling Subaru 1-800-782-2783 and see if anyone knows anything... I know Ford has been so good about testing, that they allow the use of those center latch anchors, but they are the exception to the rule :(

As for side or center, go with the one where you get the tightest install...and up to one inch of movement at the belt path (where the seatbelt is going through the seat) is perfectly acceptable...getting it "rock solid" is nice, but not necessary for safety....seats that are a teeny smidgen, up to an inch, wiggly, perform as well as seats that don't move a hair.

That said, it will probably be easier to install it outboard with the LATCH, but if you want to work with the base in the center, you might be able to do it.

Either position is very safe...rearfacing infant seats are just VERY safe, center or side.

Good luck!

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx