PDA

View Full Version : Help! Should I use friend's 3 1/2 year old Britax Roundabout car seat?

lalcaistor
05-19-2004, 09:31 PM
A friend recently gave me her used Roundabout, which she says is 3 1/2 - 4 years old. Although it was very generous of her, I am worried that because it's an older model it won't be as safe as the new Britax I was planning to purchase (still deciding between Roundabout, Marathon and Wizard). It caught me off guard and I felt like I couldn't say no, so I took the seat. I'm not using it yet as my daughter is still in her Graco SnugRide. My friend has to locate the owner's manual, which she knows she has. I know that the seat hasn't been in a crash or anything like that and it is in very good condition (she happens to be a Type A, neat freak). Am I being silly to turn down a free, albeit used and older, Britax or am I being prudent by wanting a brand new one with all the latest improvements? Does anyone know if/where I could type in the serial number and just make sure there hasn't been a recall on this particular model (tried the Britax website, no luck). Any input would be appreciated!
Laura

mommieo5
05-19-2004, 11:17 PM
I think the britax seats are good for 6 years so as long as you know it has not been in an accident I would think it would be fine.You can always order new harness straps from britax as well they will fit the older roundabout. you could call britax and give them the serial number I am sure they could tell you if the seat was recalled. new covers are also available on the britax website they are about 40.00 I have a britax RA made in late 1999 also one made in 2001 there is not much difference between the two of them except the buckle closure is different ( which can be updated with a new harnes as mentioned , and the base color the older ones had a blue base newer ones a light gray color. the brand newest ones have a smaller base which does not affect the seat to my knowledge.other than that the fabric styles differ from year to year.britax should be able to send you a user manual as wellHTH laurie

Momof3Labs
05-19-2004, 11:19 PM
What is the manufacture date on the seat? It should be printed on a sticker somewhere on the seat. If the seat is at least 6 years old, you should retire it as it is not considered safe. To check for a recall, you can check www.cpsc.gov or call Britax.

If it is four years old, you'll still need to buy a seat eventually because it won't hold your daughter until she is ready for a booster.

Can you use it as an extra seat in DH's car? Leave it at Grandma's house?? Use it for travel on airplanes?