PDA

View Full Version : Where to sit on an airplane?

HallsofVA
05-22-2004, 12:36 AM
We're taking our first flight next month. My son will be 5 months old. When booking our seats, I asked for a bulkhead row, since that's where I usually see families seated, and it seemed like it'd be the most convenient way to handle the baby (who'll have his own seat). However, I was reading Jools' link about airplane safety, and it mentioned that some car seats don't fit in bulkhead rows because of the fixed arm rests. I'm not really worried about our SnugRide fitting in the airplane seat, but I am worried about DH fitting in the seat if it's a solid armrest (he's a bit on the generous size).

I'm going to call Delta to see how the plane's configured (if they know), but I was wondering if anyone has any preference for bulkhead vs. non-bulkhead seats and what the pros/cons are of each.

kaitlinsmommy
05-22-2004, 01:31 AM
I think it depends on the plane. I just sat in bulkhead last week on a Delta Connection flight & I swear it was the smallest seat I've ever been in. Plus, since you're in the first row, you can't stow the diaper bag under the seat in front of you, which is pretty inconvenient.

Momof3Labs
05-22-2004, 07:19 AM
In the bulkhead row, they require ALL carryons to be stored overhead from before take-off until they turn off the fasten seat belt sign. I've been on flights where it has been 2-3 hours before the fasten seat belt light goes off. There's no way I'd want to be separated from my diaper bag for that long. I prefer sitting elsewhere on the plane so that I can access my diaper bag at any time.

Sounds like the bulkhead isn't right for you for a few reasons - I'd ask to sit elsewhere on the plane.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-22-2004, 02:51 PM
I never sit in the bulkhead, with or without the baby. You have less legroom and less room in the seat itself. Plus you can't have access to your stuff for most of the flight.

I like to be near the front so I don't have to haul everything back that narrow aisle.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

HallsofVA
05-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks, everyone! I called Delta today and switched our seats without problem. While I had them on the phone, I even got a couple of hundred dollars towards a future flight, since they put the route on sale just after I'd bought my husband's ticket.