PDA

View Full Version : If it were absolutely NECESSARY to have a child in the front seat, which of these 3 would be safest?

iluvmy2boys
05-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Keep in mind I have a 2000 Saturn SL1 - pretty small backseat and the 3 carseats I have to work with (FF Britax RA, FF Britax MA and RF Graco Snugride, soon to be convertible) will NOT fit in the backseat, AT ALL (i've tried). For right now, I have my oldest DS (5yrs old) sitting in his Britax MA when needed, but I do have an airbag up there (getting it disabled this week).

So - when the airbag is disabled - should he still be the child that sits up front, or would one of the other 2 be better?

For my OWN ease and convenience - it would be SO much easier if the RF infant could be in the front seat. This isn't my child - it's the little guy I babysit. I have to drive a 36mile roundtrip every day (to pick my oldest DS up from school). THIS would be easiest for me because then I wouldn't have to keep uninstalling/reinstalling his carseat all the time. We live in Virginia if that helps. We also have a Graco Turbobooster for my oldest DS, but he keeps climbing out of it, so I hate to use it on a daily basis. and trust me - I'm seriously working on DH getting me a minivan ... but then I'll be back to ask where I should put everyone! LOL

So, these are the ages, weights & carseats
FF Britax MA - 5yrs, 42lbs, 43in
FF Britax RA - 2yrs, 25lbs, 35in
RF Graco Snugride - 4mo, 17lbs, 26in

edited to add - that new carseats are not an option - most definitely not for the infant (unless I can convince his mom to get the touriva at walmart for my car). I COULD try putting my youngest DS back rearfacing in his roundabout (he's only 25.5lbs, but is 35in - so I'm not sure how he'd take to having to be put back the other way) and my DH would absolutely FLIP if I suggested more seats for our kids. It was a hard sell to get him to agree on the Marathon for my oldest - but when the $199 Co-op took place in February, he couldn't refuse. It'll be bad enough when I tell him we need another seat next year when our marathon expires (it's already 5yrs old)

cpstechmom
05-23-2004, 02:36 AM
Yikes, tough choice. I would say that the biggest most protected child would go in the front. I think you are right having your 5 year old in the Marathon in the front. I understand that it would be more convient having the baby up front, but I think the ff marathon would be better. Julie or Heather might have a different option for you, I don't know.

Just make sure that the front vehicle seat is pushed all the way back as far as it will go and you should be okay.

Good luck convincing dh to get a mini-van! :)

Janice M. Mom to Cias-born 4/13/02 and forever rear-facing in his Britax Marathon.

Momof3Labs
05-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Would turning the Roundabout back rear-facing help any?? Or trying a narrow infant car seat (the FP SIV is narrower, I believe)?

ETA: Colin is 25lbs and 36" and still rear-facing in his Roundabout. Yes, his legs are long but he's not complaining!

Joolsplus2
05-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Ugh...I hate when we can't give an answer we all agree on, but rather a choice the mom has to make ;)
If *I* was 100% certain that the airbag was completely disabled and would never deploy, *I'd* put the RF baby in the front seat. If *I* had even a nagging sense of doubt that the airbag might deploy, then the oldest harnessed child would go in that spot, for sure.
It's a tough situation...maybe a narrower seat, like the Cosco touriva ("tourvia" at walmart.com for $38) would fit in the back for the infant?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

toomanystrollers
05-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Here's another idea - can you squish a backless booster (Graco turbo booster $16 - $19) in the back for your oldest and turn your 2 yo ds backwards again - it might just work :)

ETA: just noticed you already have the Graco, hmmm? Can you squish it in?