PDA

View Full Version : I need a back up car seat. Recomendations?

Frogmajick
05-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Hi! This is my very first post, Lotsofjoy pointed me here, she said I'd get great advice.

I have a 38 lb, not-quite-3 year old son in a Britax Husky. It's the same seat his sister is in, she a 50+lb, not-quite-7 year old. This has to be my favorite car seat ever. However, it is heavy and not the easiest thing to install, so anyone who knows it will understand why I want a secondary, easily installed and transportable, inexpensive car seat. I need something for those days my husband may have to pick up the kids in his car, or something I can give the day care for field trips. Really, the most important thing is I need something to let my mom use, something completely idiot proof for installation, and something safe. A long time ago I had a Touriva and liked it, but it's been so long that I can't remember if it was easy to install. I do know I only spent about $35 on it (on sale).

Oh, and since he isn't quite 40 lbs yet, he'll still need a 5pt harness, won't he? A high back booster that just used the shoulder/lap belt would be best for my mom, but he just isn't quite there yet.

Can I get some good idea s for an inexpensive, easy seat that is lightweight and safe?

Joolsplus2
05-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Welcome :) (Don't I know your screenname from ParentsPlace?...seems familiar...)
This is kind of a toughie, given his young age. As far as easy-to-install, the Marathon or Wizard is the best choice, but that's not lightweight or cheap. The Nania Airway is light and cheap, but not easy to install or use http://www.123safe.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/c-secNania_Carseats.html?L+scstore+glbd9255fff294f2+ 1078619297

Highback dedicated boosters start at 30 pounds, and some as young as age 1 (I know, isn't that unbelievable?), though the Graco Turbo Booster starts at age 3, and is a versatile choice for either or both kiddos.

Of course, it comes down to whether he can sit still in a booster and keep it buckled. The Britax Laptop is really easy to use, small, light, and goes from 30-65 pounds, as long as the car has adequate head support, but the only place to find those is ebay. Still, it might work great if you can find one.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Frogmajick
05-23-2004, 07:24 PM
I've been browsing around and at Target the cheap and eaay criteria was met by the Evenflo Big Kid Booster (29.89) and the Cosco Complete Voyager High Back Booster (24.99). These are both BPB's, which I think he could deal with on a short in-town run.

Are these the kinds of things that might work out, or is their safety rating too low? (I can't find any stats!)

Oh, and yep, I'm Frogmajick from Parentsplace oh so long ago LOL, one and the same!

Joolsplus2
05-23-2004, 08:29 PM
I have a Big Kid and we really love it. The flip up armrests make the belt routing super easy for the car seat-challenged, and it will last much longer than the Cosco (that's a super-short seat...outgrown by 7-8 year olds, typically)...the Big Kid will last till he's big enough for the seatbelt, and it's more versatile, since it can be used backless.
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx