PDA

View Full Version : Wizard v. RA v. Marathon

annasmom
05-26-2004, 10:57 AM
I am new to the car seat discussion, and I have a bit of time before I purchase. I was hoping to get some information as to why people have chosen one Britax model over the others, and what people's experience has been with these particular models. Thanks!

Eileen

ALLEYCAT
05-26-2004, 05:33 PM
I bought a wizard at BRU and love it. I stressed over the purchase for weeks and bought it from there because he had outgrown the height and weight limits on bucket before I realized it. I got in a hurry and did not want to wait for shipping. Now I see people who get thiers quickly and cheaper on line. Anyway I love the fabric from BRU and have no problems with the head rest on Wizard. Could be because he went straight from the bucket to Wizard. If you read the earlier posts there is a ton of info on the models. You just have to make your own choice. If it helps, I was given a budget model cosco and it is impossible to instal in any car easily. The Britax goes easily and quickly into 2003 Excursion center and outboard, 94 Pathfinder center, and 99 Maxima outboard. The inlaws and outlaws were all impressed at how easily it installed in the different cars(except Lexus) and have all reccommended the Wizard to their friends with car seat issues. I must say the added side impact protection was a seller for me and I feel safer letting DS ride with others with him in it. I know I could wreck also but I just feel better with him in the Wizard.

pittsburghgirl
05-26-2004, 05:41 PM
We have the Marathon. DS is 27 inches at 4 months so he's been in it for a couple of weeks now. We picked it for the higher height/weight limits over the RA. Might have chosen the RA if he wasn't so big as it is a little lighter - we will be carrying the MA on the plane when traveling.

Liked the Wizard but didn't want to spend the extra. DS is fine w/o the headrest, he sleeps much more comfortably in the MA than he did in his snugride.

Installs very easily with LATCH in our Outback and w/ seatbelt in my 99 Camry. Incidentally figured out how to attach the tether connector by searching these boards!

Marilee
mommy to James 4 months!

cpstechmom
05-27-2004, 10:30 AM
I bought the Marathon first because I loved the fact that it is so big and does have that 65 pound weight limit. My ds is on the small side, so I don't have to worry about him outgrowing a seat with a 40 lb. limit on it, but I prefer that he stay in a 5-point harness as long as possible. I can tell now, even at the age of barely 2, that he won't be mature enough to sit still in a booster seat at the age of 4 or 5-in the off chance that he was actually 40 pounds at that age. The longer he is in a 5-point harness the safer he will be.

I bought the Roundabout to keep in my dh's truck. I wanted the Marathon, but thought it would be to big for the front seat of this 2000 Ford Ranger. The Roundabout fits perfectly and will still last my tiny little guy a long time. Now I would love a wizard for the truck b/c of the side impact protection, but there is no way dh would go for that.

BTW, when I say litle, I mean pretty little. My ds is 25 months, 23 pounds and 32 inches. He has tons and tons of growing room in each seat.

Janice M. Mom to Cias-born 4/13/02 and forever rear-facing in his Britax Marathon.

jerseygirl07067
05-27-2004, 10:49 AM
I recently was trying to decide this one too. I wanted the Marathon because of the higher height and weight limits, but since DH and I are pretty tall and drive with the front seat far back from the wheel, we had to go with the one that fit in the center AND the outboard position (as we would like a 2nd baby sometime soon!) The RA was the only one that fit and still allowed us to be comfortable while driving. (We drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee)
I had been thinking about the Wizard too, but I was told at BRU that many moms were returning their seats, because their babies kept trying to crane their necks forward to look out to see, thus defeating the purpose of the side headrest. But a lot of people really do like the Wizard for that added protection.

HTH,
Marcy

mickey
05-28-2004, 12:30 PM
I just bought a Marathon seat after interviewing my already mommie friends and checking out consumer reports info. Everyone seemed to agree that the Britax Marathon and Round-about seats were well worth the extra $$$. The baby is comfortable and the straps never get tangled - and the safety is supposedly top-notch. I received a lower end used Century model from a family member - and just looking at them side by side - the Marathon just looks WAY more durable. The big difference between the Marathon and the Round-about is that the Marathon goes up to 65 lbs and the Round-about goes to 40 lbs. The Marathon is larger - but if your car is big enough - why not!

Today we are installing it as we are driving alot over this holiday weekend and the baby outgrew her Snugride seat weeks ago. My only question to those who already have one... does the styrofoam underneath the seat cover stay in or come out - I couldn't find anything in the instructions regarding the styrofoam.

I know this probably seems like a silly question - but I truly don't know.

Thanks!

jamsmu
05-29-2004, 12:00 AM
We have both the MA and the RA. Had the MA first but decided it was too heavy to track through all the airports, so we purchased the RA for trips, the 2nd car, and, eventually, the 2nd baby.

LOVE both!! DS is so comfortable and at ease. He has a greater opportunity to look around and take in the scenery and can stretch and relax. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

jenniferblake
05-29-2004, 12:59 AM
The styrofoam is the eps foam that needs to stay in. it is the same stuff bike helmets are made of.

Jennifer Blake

mickey
05-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks Jennifer - told you it was a silly question!