PDA

View Full Version : YOUR vote on my travel car seat nightmare?!

akc
05-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi -

I know there have been several (bunches) of posts on the plane flight car seat issue, but I can't seem to find one that helps me match my situation and solve the problem. Would y'all please, please, please mind giving me your thoughts?

OK, here's the scoop:
- We're flying to the Carribean on Saturday. We first take a short hop from Baltimore to Philly (45 min) and then PHilly to St. Thomas (3 1/2 hours). Same on the way back.
- We've got a seat for Maeve, my nearly 2-yr old who is tall (100% height, but fairly thin), and have to carry Charlotte, 4 mos and quite chunky, in our arms.
- We own a Britax Marathon, a Sit-n-Stroll (which was specifically for travel), and a Comfort Sport (in our sitter's car)
- We're going to take the Graco infant seat and our Combi Ultra Savvy for Charlotte and gate check both.
- We can't really check one of Maeve's seats at Baltimore and get it back in Philly, so we have to be prepared to gate check the seat (and lug it to the gate) or to use it on the short flight too.
- Need something for 1 car ride from the airport to the hotel and back when we get there/leave. Not going to travel around in car while we're there.

So, here are my questions:

1) Should we skip the seat on the plane all together? I'm thinking we could never control her if we did, but she'll hate to be strapped in. I do want her to have the opp to sleep though, and that won't happen w/out a seat.

2) Does a Marathon even fit in a plane seat? If so, would it fit with me (5'11") next to it carrying a baby and my DH (6'1") on the other side? It just seems so huge (but would be most comfy)

3) Would a Comfort Sport fit better?

4) I think she's too big for the Sit n' Stroll, but would it be best to try to shove her in it?

5) Should I suck it up and buy a booster that we'll use later. Hate that b/c a Marathon goes up to 48 lbs and tall height, but she could go into a booster - I think there were some recommendations that were Graco seats (turbo or CarGo)? Are those comfy at all?

6) Any other recommendations/solutions?

Thanks, thanks, thanks in advance! :)

Alexa

Momof3Labs
05-30-2004, 03:55 PM
A few key things -

You can't use booster seats on airplanes. And the airline will require Maeve to be in a car seat whenever the seat belt light is on, so you need to take one of your seats for her. Plus, the airline will require that you install the car seat in the window seat, so it needs to fit there, not between your and your DH.

Reports are that as long as the armrests lift, the Marathon will fit in an airplane seat.

I'm not sure what the height limits are on the Sit n Stroll, but it sounds like any of the seats would work, so take what she will like best for the long flight!

Joolsplus2
05-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Lori, I WISH they would require children to be in seats up until 40 pounds, however, there is no such rule :( . Right now, babies under 2 can ride on a mom's lap or on the seat alone, and over 2 there's no rule beyond the fact that the airline must allow a parent to use an approved seat if they wish http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/fsat/fsat9509.txt

A. Child Restraint. Sections 121.311 and 135.128 of the
FAR require air carriers to accept approved infant/child
restraint systems (car seats) when the
parent/guardian/attendant (parent) has purchased a ticket
for their use. Parents still have the option of carrying
children under the age of 2 in their laps. In addition,
these amendments require air carriers to ensure that the
infant/child (child) is properly secured in the car seat,
the car seat is properly secured in a forward-facing seat,
the child does not exceed the weight limits of the car
seat, and the car seat is approved and has the proper
labels.
That said, of course bringing a seat for Maeve would be safest...Probably the comfortsport (just because it's lighter and smaller), unless you are comfortable with installing your sit n stroll and think it would be more convenient? The Marathon does fit fine, and is comfortable, but I don't think the other seats are UNcomfortable, and it certainly is large (it fits great on a samsonite micro mover).

Also, it couldn't hurt to ask when you get to the gate, if there are any open seats, and would they mind allowing you to bring the infant carrier on. Lots of moms do this, and many times are allowed to bring the seat on, even though you don't have a paid ticket for her.

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

akc
05-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi there -

OK, couple of follow up things. I'm just trying to navigate this world now that she's older and bigger. We've taken her before but she was younger.

In terms of not being able to use boosters, I 'm pretty sure I've seen them on planes. What other option is there for a child that's bigger than a regular car seat? In fact, I'm fairly certain the one I saw was the CarGo Booster - is that possibly b/c it has the 5-pt harness?

HI - EDITED TO SAY THAT THIS ENDED UP BEING POSTED AFTER THE ONE ABOVE & THAT CLEARS UP SOME OF MY CONFUSION. THX! That's good to think about in terms of Maeve in a car seat when the light is on. Is that the case even though she's under 2? I mean, technically, we didn't even have to buy a seat with her (which would be a NIGHTMARE), but then your child simply can't be in a car seat? They let her go w/out a car seat when we bought a ticket for her in November (she was about 16 mos), just in our lap for take off and landing. Maybe we just had a lax crew. Really doesn't matter - just curious and asking for friends I have who are also traveling soon. I think we've got to do the carseat regardless.

Sigh. I wish we could take the marathon but I'm guess that since we can't sit anyone in the backseat of our car between the marathon and the graco infant base - and the backseat is significantly wider than three plane seats, it will be tight. I was thinking, however, that I could rest my head on her seat?! :) Maybe if I borrowed somebodies Roundabout - it's smaller, right?

TIA -

Alexa

Momof3Labs
05-30-2004, 09:06 PM
I thought that I had read recently that airlines wouldn't let babies under 2 sit in a seat without a restraint (I know it makes no sense with the lap baby stuff, but then the idea of lap babies makes no sense to me either). Hm, wonder where I got that from...

ETA: Julie, I think that what I heard was that if you purchase a seat for the child, they are required to be restrained in it when the seat belt light is on. So if you don't have a car seat, you have to buckle them in, and the question becomes whether you child will stay buckled in the seat without a car seat. Or perhaps this doesn't apply to children under 2??

Momof3Labs
05-30-2004, 09:07 PM
I think that it is only boosters that are belt positioners that aren't approved for air travel - if the booster has a five point harness, it should be okay.

JennsBabySky
06-01-2004, 12:17 AM
It will also depend on the crew. I just flew Anerican (without kids) and saw the flight attendant helping the parents in front of us strap in a booster seat (no 5 point harness, this was definitely a booster only seat). I've flown American several times with our daughter and carefully read their fine print, it is a big no-no to use the booster. Fortunately, the parents changed their minds because their son refused to ride in the seat -- it saved me from opening my big mouth!

That being said, I've found it much easier to have the carseat with me on the plane. My daughter sleeps much better in it. Also, I think some (all??) airlines do have a policy that if a child has a purchased seat, they must be sitting in it during landing and takeoff. I can't imagine a 2 year old sitting comfortably in those large seats and your hands will be full with the baby. I'd take whichever seat is the lightest and easiest for you to carry and install. Unfortunatly, it is going to be a pain getting throgh security with both kids, stroller, carseat, etc. Also, I's only bring a backpack for a carryon. Your hands are going to be too full for a rolling piece of luggage!

Good luck,
Jennifer

MinnieMouse
06-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Just wanted to point out. If you want to use BOTH car seats on the plane you will have to sit in two separate rows.

The airline won't allow you to sit with a car seat between you and the aisle of the plane and although it isn't prohibited, I wouldn't want to travel with both children next to each other since it will be more difficult to reach the child next to the window.

So basically, if there is room on the plane I would plan on each parent sitting next to one child in two different rows... with both children in their seats next to the windows.

I second the Samsonite Micromover. We've traveled with my now 3yo three times (15mo, 27mo & 30mo) and used the Micromover the last two trips. It really is easy to use with Britax seats (we have an Advantage).

HTH

Christine