PDA

View Full Version : Britax Companion vs. Perego Viaggio vs. My impending nervous breakdown

WooChx
06-07-2004, 11:22 AM
I've been reading the board for weeks and researching everything I can find in an attempt to figure out what car seat (and stroller) will be best for me. I'm seriously going insane. I have a Saab 9-3 convertible, can't position the infant seat in the middle, can't put the passenger seat back when the car seat is installed, have no trunk space for a stroller, have to walk 3 flights of stairs, have 2 small dogs to walk with said gear, and live in the suburbs, and can't afford a new car.

My head is spinning with all of the choices I have to make! I thought that I had finally narrowed down my search to the Britax Companion. The photo recently posted showing the interior sold me on its safety. I went to the store to purchase it over the weekend and was told that they do not make an extra base for these, that I would have to purchase 2 Companions or switch the base back and forth between cars. Then the sales person told me "it fits into almost every stroller... except these" and proceeded to point out their entire line of strollers except the Inglesia and Zooper.

Now I am wondering if I should throw in the towel and get the Peg Perego Viaggio & accommodating stroller. My concern over this is that your boards say the baby could potentially grow out of it very quickly. Also, with my car I'd like the safest possible seat. I don't have a lot of money and want to simply get a seat and stroller than will hopefully last as long as possible. I really do not like any of the Graco products. They seem really cheap. Not to mention I hate walking into Babies R Us (I think its run by the devil) its so overwhelming!! I would rather spend a little more to begin with and have a better quality product that will last for a while.

Please help!
- Steph (mother to heartburn)

heatherlynn
06-07-2004, 01:11 PM
You can definately order an extra base for the Companion; I'm getting this carseat (possibly the extra base, too). Here's a link:

http://brands.babycatalog.com/Britax-list.html#carseats.

If it doesn't work, just go to babycatalog.com and it's there under the Britax products. I've never ordered from them, but just wanted to let you know that you can get one.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of putting car seats into strollers. I purposely looked for a stroller w/ full recline, but I will also use a baby bjorn when he's small. I do think most babies grow out of the infant seat quickly; my dd grew out of hers at 4 mos. and she was not a large baby (long, but not heavy). The reason I like the Companion is that they've always fit really well in whatever car we're driving, plus the size limits are higher so I can use it longer (since I'm not using it as part of a travel system and won't be carrying it much either, the heavier weight of it doesn't bother me).

I hope this makes sense! Good luck.

H-

JennsBabySky
06-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi,
I have the Companion and love it! That said, I believe the shell is a little larger than other infant seats. Depending on how deep your backseat is, you will definitely need to move the seat forward. However, that is true for almost all infant seats. Before making any decision, I highly recommend that you return to the babystore with the Companion and install it in your car! If both the base and seat fit your car, I think the Companion is a terrific seat. Also, because it has both a higher weight and height limit, it is one of the only infant seat that could possibly last until age 1. My chunky son (currently 5 months), is still fitting very comfortably in the Companion. I did find it impossible to install the base in my husband's F150. He did not have the LATCH lower anchors and his seat belt was too thick to fit into the base. So, I strongly recommend trying it in your car(s) before purchasing.

In my husband's car, we have our old Graco. The things I like about the Graco are the weight (much lighter) and that it installed in his truck!

By the way, I have used the Companion a few times with the Peg Perego P3 and it fit fine. The stroller folds fairly compactly and is quite plush. Plus it has almost a full recline and so it is suitable for newborns even without the seat.

Take care,
Jennifer

Katia
06-07-2004, 01:24 PM
I'd reconsider the Snugride. I agree it's easy to be put off by the BRU experience, LOL, and some of the Graco patterns are ugly. But it's a really safe seat and very user-friendly. I went to the Graco website (www.gracobaby.com) and browsed by pattern and quickly found a fabric I could live with quite happily; be sure to look at the "where to buy" section because they sell different things at BRU, Baby Depot and independent retailers. (See, you might not even need to go to BRU! :-) )

You'll find lots of posts on the stroller boards from people who are trying to figure out how to use a Snugride in a Peg Perego stroller.

Also, I agonized over the carseat pattern for ages, and once I had the baby, I realized that the carseat is just a utilitarian piece of equipment and I really didn't care what the fabric looked like as long as it was safe. Baby also outgrew it by four months, so I'm really glad I didn't spend extra $$$ on a prettier PP model.

HTH...and good luck with your decision/shopping!

jp96
06-08-2004, 10:32 AM
I read somewhere that the Companion does not have the level adjuster like the snugride and the Prima Viaggio. Is this the case?

Plus, it is 10 pounds vs. 7 or 8.

Thanks

JennsBabySky
06-08-2004, 01:51 PM
I have both the Companion and an older (circa late 1999) Snugride. The Companion definitely has a level adjuster. It is very easy to use. My older model Snugride does not have a level adjuster, but newer ones might??

There is definitely a weight difference between the two. The Companion feels much heavier (cause it is!). I rarely pull my infant seat out of the car, so weight is not a deal breaker for me. The Companion feels much more substantial than the Graco. I "feel" like my ds is safer in the Companion. Plus it has so much more padding. I really love the built in head support, it is absolutely the best. He is still using it at 5 months and it was perfect when he was a newborn. Plus it is definitely longer and wider than the Graco, because of this, it is rated until a higher weight and height. Depending on the size of your baby, this infant seat might actually get you all the way through until age 1. I've never heard of a Graco doing that!

Momof3Labs
06-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Honestly, since money is tight and you want a good, safe seat, I'd suggest that you skip the infant seat (they are expensive!!!) and just put the money towards a good convertible seat. The Roundabout, Marathon and Wizard can all be used from 5lbs, I think, and all are considered to be great seats!!

Joyce6830
06-08-2004, 11:12 PM
I thought Britax made the companion to fit in their entire line of strollers?? I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere. I'd say if you have to choose between the two infant seats, choose the companion. You'll be able to use it longer and it has added side impact protection that you may want since baby will have to ride outboard.

Momof3Labs also had a great suggestion. Is there any way you can skip the infant seat alltogether? Just buy a great convertible seat and a nice stroller? You may get very tired of lugging that infant seat up 3 flights of stairs. You could get a sling and just slip baby in the sling and have your hands free to carry everything else. The way you described your car, the Marathon and Wizard my be too large to use rear facing but I bet the Roundabout would fit nicely??

Joyce, CPST

WooChx
06-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I used to consider myself a "Shopping Jedi" but this whole baby thing has totally got me baffled and slightly terrified. I thought that you had to have an infant car seat to take the baby home from the hospital. I guess maybe a convertible seat would be considered the same. However, the BB Book recommened Not getting a convertible - so I was avoiding that option. I've been researching Saab bulletin boards as well, those guys claim that the Britax (toddler) seats fit best - so I'm assuming the infant seat would too. I still have to go to a store and have a tech work with me though.

My next thought was to purchase an inexpensive Peg Perego system with the seat, stroller, & bassinet on Ebay. Use it for a few months and then upgrade. Many of the prices seem reasonable, but the car seat would have to be a few years old. Since I think that my car can't use the LATCH system (its a 1999) I figured it would be ok as long as I check that all of the recalls have been updated.

EEEK!!

Joyce6830
06-09-2004, 01:25 PM
You do not have to buy an older seat that doesn't have LATCH just because your car doesn't have LATCH. All seats sold today can be installed EITHER using LATCH or the seat belt. I would caution you about buying a used seat from e-bay. I'm not saying don't do it but be very careful that you know all the details about the seat. You need to know the history. Most importantly has it ever been in a crash, even a minor one. If SAAB is recommending Britax TODDLER seats, they are asssuming the seat will be installed forward facing which takes up much less space. That doesn't necessarily mean that Britax seats are going to fit best rear facing. You really need to have the seat installed before buying it to make sure. I also want to caution you about just going to a store and asking questions assuming the people working there are technicians. MOST store employees that sell car seats are NOT technicians and although they mean well, most have not been properly trained to be giving you advice on anything other than the features of the seats.

Sorry, I know I just added to your frustration over this whole issue but these are all factors you need to consider before making your choice. Do you know where you can find a technician in your area?

Joyce, CPST

Edited to add: You do not necessarly need an INFANT seat to leave the hospital. They just want to make sure the infant is properly restrained. They may have to come out to your car to see the seat, but you will be fine in a convertible.

jp96
06-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Steph,

What did you finally decide to do? I am in the same boat!!

JP96

JennsBabySky
06-09-2004, 03:36 PM
I have both the Britax Companion and the Britax Marathon installed in the backseat of my car (and at some point or another I've also had the Britax King and Britax Roundabout). The base of the Companion is much larger than the base of the Roundabout or Marathon. Even though these are substantial seats, the base itself is fairly small which can sometimes make installs in smaller cars a little easier (but I'd talk to a tech about that). I haven't tried installing the Marathon or Roundabout rearfacing yet, so I'm not sure if the shell on these takes up more room when rearfacing. I suspect that for the maximum recline (definitely necessary with a newborn), then the Marathon or Roundabout will stick out further. If carseat depth is an issue, you might be able to get away with a smaller infant seat (Peg Perego or Graco) then switch to a convertible seat when the baby outgrows this. By then, you might not need the seat as reclined.

Because you have a smaller backseat, I can't reiterate enough how important it is to try the carseat in your car first. Even better if you can have a tech help you. However, do not assume that someone working at a baby store really knows carseat installations unless they are a tech. Until you've really been taught, I don't think most people realize how involved getting the correct install can be. (By the same token, don't assume a firefighter can install your seat. My husband would willingly volunteer to look at your seat, but he does NOT do a good job installing a seat. He is not a tech and I have told him to never install anyone's seat -- ours included. Hopefully, he realizes he shouldn't check seat installs, but he is a nice guy and would have trouble not helping out a pregnant lady trying to protect her child).

I usually don't recommend used seats, because you don't know their history. But if you are thinking of a used seat, someone on the Strollerswap board just said they were interested in selling their Peg Perego stroller/carseat system. Let me know if you want the link.

Good luck,
Jennifer

sweetbaby
06-09-2004, 04:02 PM
I know your pain! I am trying to do the next step seat. Well, I have a six month daughter and we have had her in the Peg infant. Good seat, great ratings, however a few fallbacks.

Pros-Safe, nice looking, comfy, product is well made so it will last you. You can take this into places without the hassle of a stroller.

Cons-HEAVY! Unless you live in a cold place which in that case it would be a pro, my dd sweats in it a lot. This seat also has a very short umbrella cover. Also, it is only good until I think 26". If like us they will outgrow the height before weight.

I also have the Aria. This stroller is very light so you might like it. The bad part is that it doesn't recline all the way down and has a basket that is impossible to get to. I carry my diaper bag and also can not put bags into the basket when shopping. It rides nice though.

If I were you I would look into the P3. Although it still has a small basket. It does recline all the way down. It sits up nice and also it is light. I found mine on E-Bay for 1/2 the cost and it was in great shape. Check it out!! (for the stroller) Oh yeah the Peg is bulky in the car and we have a small backseat and it hangs a bit off of the edge. I would get the measurements of the bases of the ones you like and see what will fit. I have heard great things about the Graco Snugride if you go the infant route. If not I would go with either the Britax-Marathon (65 lbs), Roundabout (40 lbs) or if on a budget the Evenflo Triumph 5. Those last few are bulky though. Measure for all of these.

Good luck! It is tough I know! Take care.

WooChx
06-09-2004, 05:47 PM
You all are the best! So helpful.. but alas, I wish I could just have a martini and be done with it. Seriously though, I vow to find a QUALIFIED tech (I already think ALL the employees at my local Boston area baby stores are idiots) and figure out which seat is best for my car type. I would be more than willing to bet a convertible car seat will not fit into my convertible back seat, at least not rear facing. However, I have read enough to decide that if my car is big enough I will not hesitate to purchase the Britax Companion. That is a solid piece of equipment. Who am I to complain over it being heavy or not matching the nicest looking stroller. If I were to get into an accident I would want my baby in this seat. Period. Regardless, I fear this debate is going to come down to SnugRide (which I REALLY do not like) or Peg Perego. Leaving me with the feeling that I am purchasing a travel system that will self destruct in 4 to 6 months. Basically, I'm still at square one.

Momof3Labs
06-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Jennifer, are you married to a firefighter? I am, too!

JennsBabySky
06-09-2004, 06:49 PM
I just remembered something. My SIL used to have a really small BMW convertible when her daughter was born. I don't remember the details, but she used both a Graco infant seat and then a convertible seat successfully. So don't stress too much, it just may fit!

Good luck,
Jennifer

WooChx
06-10-2004, 01:45 PM
I ended up making a choice last night, because I had no choice. We went with the Viaggio (Martinelli) & the Pliko P3 (Martinelli) because nothing else would fit in my Saab. In fact the stroller only fits in my trunk if its completely empty. I have a feeling I'm going to be looking at it in the passenger seat quite a lot. The Britax Companion was too big for the back seat, as were all of the convertibles in a rear facing position. Since the store owner had given me a nice credit to use because I purchased my crib there I basically paid $30 for the seat and $269 for the stroller. Which was the same price as BRU advertises. Also, the Martinelli line was the exact same price as the normal Peg Perego stuff so I chose the solid Navy Blue. I live in Massachusetts and I'm due on Labor Day (8/31), baby should be close to 6 months around January. I'm hoping the fabric will keep her warm through the fall. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I forsee that I am going to become a stroller junky and I'm trying to make peace with my bank account. Hopefully, we can all just learn to get along! Thanks to everyone for your help!!!

jp96
06-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Hello,

Can you tell me where you bought your seat and if you were happy with their service? I am in MA as well.

Thanks

WooChx
06-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Absolutely! I purchased my crib, seat, and stroller at The Baby Place, Route 9 East on the Natick/Wellesley line. - www.thebabyplace.com - Its small but they have a nice selection of top lines at good prices. Right now they are having a 20-50% off sale. As for service, the other night the owner happened to be there and I had to go up and personally thank him for being so kind/customer oriented. I purchased my crib 2 weeks before the sale started and when I called the owner to (nicely) complain he honored the sale with a store credit ($130). I had not even bought my mattress there which was supposed to be part of the reason you would get the discount to begin with. Not to mention I originally had to call him to see if he would sell me the floor model crib (that was brand new) because I didn't have time to wait 3 months for it to be shipped from Italy. Which he did. I have looked all over and where there are competeing brands they are either less expensive or the same. Boston Baby (more expensive), BRU (same), and Tiny Totland (more expensive) in Manchester, NH. The sales people are just ok, but the pricing makes up for it. I would even bet that if you found it for less elsewhere the owner would match or beat the price. As mentioned they are sort of small so I would absolutely try negotiating with them. I'm not sure if I will buy anything else there because I think their smaller items are kind of pricey. I've seen monitors, bedding, etc. for less. They have great diaper bags though. Overall, I would say the place surprised me - I thought it was going to be stuff and out of my league, but it has turned into a really great experience.

heatherlynn
06-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi!

I'm just wondering what kinds of things they have on sale. I'm also in MA, but honestly the service I've gotten from them is kind of hit or miss, so I'm a little reluctant to go back unless they have some good deals.

Thanks!

H-

jp96
06-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Yes, I agree. Their sales people can't be somewhat abrupt. Their return policy is not so great either.

WooChx
06-11-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm not surprised that its hit or miss. I just happened to have a really good experience. However, keep in mind that I was dealing directly with the owner (Elliot) each time. He didn't remember me from one conversation to the next, so I don't feel that I was being favored. As mentioned I don't think I would buy smaller items from them because they are overpriced, but with the major purchases the did a good job.