PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Britax Marathon Shoulder Straps - Help!

berob
06-13-2004, 09:14 AM
My wife and I recently had a Britax Marathon car seat installed in each of our cars. I need to adjust the shoulder straps to more properly fit my 6.5 month old but couldn't figure it out at first glance and can't find the instructions. Can someone tell me how to do it? Does the seat have to come out of the vehicle or can the straps be adjusted while the seat is still installed? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Momof3Labs
06-13-2004, 09:49 AM
I assume that the seat is rear-facing since your babe is only 6.5 months old. If you can get to the back of the seat, you can probably adjust the straps without uninstalling the seat. If you follow the straps through the shell to the back of the seat, you will find that they connect to a large metal piece. To move the straps, feed the first one out of the metal piece, then out of the shell and cover, and re-thread them in the slot that you want. Then reconnect it to the metal piece. Then do the same for the second strap. Be careful not to twist the straps before you reconnect them to the metal piece.

On another note, I *highly* recommend that you learn how to install these seats yourself. Otherwise, what will you do if you go to put your baby in one day and the seat has come loose? A good car seat tech won't just install for you, they will teach you how to do it yourself. Also, find that manual!!! There is a lot of important information in there; if you can't find it, have Britax send you a new one. There are two pockets on the seat to hold manuals; keep at least one in a pocket at all times!

jd11365
06-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Check under the seat cover for the instructions. Mine came tethered w/ a band under the seat cover at the foot of the seat...next to the strap adjuster...where the child's feet are. If you still can't find it, you can go to the Britax website and download them. http://tinyurl.com/3a8mg

HTH!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Joolsplus2
06-13-2004, 02:23 PM
The straps need to be at or below the child's shoulders, and it's very rare for a baby that young to be at or above the second slots, so it's very likely you need to leave them in the bottom slots. (Having the straps below the shoulders holds a baby down and in the seat in a crash).

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx