PDA

View Full Version : What do taxi users do about carseats?

dotgirl
06-15-2004, 07:08 PM
We're going to NYC next week, and we're bringing DS with us. We didn't buy him a seat on the plane (he wouldn't sit in it anyway), and we're not planning to bring his carseat.

However, I'm sort of worried. We need to take a taxi from our house to SeaTac, and then from the Newark airport to our hotel in Manhatten. How does that work? How do people who live in NYC and primarily use cabs deal with this?

Help?

DeeEast
06-15-2004, 07:17 PM
I'd love to know a good solution to this. We're going to NYC in August and DD will be a year old. She grew out of the infant seat at 4 months. From what I've learned, you've got two realistic choices. A Sit-n-Stroll or no carseat, period. I'd love to hear other answers to this.

Joolsplus2
06-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Bring one. If you can, get them to let you bring it on the plane for free, and if they refuse due to a full flight, then gate-check it. You really, really need to use one, he's just so young and fragile, and it's possibly illegal not to use one. Do you happen to know anyone with a larger infant seat you can borrow? Like one with a 29 inch height limit and a 22 pound weight limit? Or buy one...
As for in the city, I guess I'd try to avoid cabs, I know hauling a carseat all over town is not enticing, and people just hold their babies (using your baby as an airbag isn't enticing either, but you have to weigh risks, I guess :( )
Or the sit n stroll...you might want to seriously consider one....
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

christic
06-15-2004, 08:56 PM
While whether you use a carseat or not in NYC taxis is an ongoing debate (sure to start some fierce name calling on urbanbaby, but what doesn't :)), I'd absolutely bring a carseat to use for the rides to and from the airports. You're talking about highway driving, at least from Newark, and it's definitely illegal in Jersey besides being dangerous. There's a chance there'll be a free seat and you can always check it--the risk of going without far outweighs the inconvenience in my opinion.

DeeEast
06-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Can I ask what you mean about causing some "fierce name calling on urbanbaby"? I've been curious for a long time as to what the millions of Manhattan parents DO with their kids who are too big for infant seats. I mean there are just some places in Manhattan that you can't get to by subway (conveniently anyway) and I know these people have to take cabs with their kids. Is it possible that millions of parents take taxis with no carseats with their kids every day?

chrissyhowie
06-15-2004, 11:19 PM
This is taken direct from the NYC Taxi and Limousine Website:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/faq_pass.shtml#9
• What are the rules regarding child safety seats and seatbelts in taxicabs?

Drivers of yellow medallion taxicabs and for-hire vehicles and their passengers, are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts. Keep in mind, the TLC encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seatbelts while riding in a cab. There are no Taxi and Limousine Commission rules regarding this, as it is a State exemption. Passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install.
*NOTE - Children under the age of seven are permitted to sit on an adult's lap.

I live in NYC and take a cab here and there with my DD. This isn't going to win me mommy points, but I don't use a car seat during my occasional taxi rides. It is unfortunately not practical to try and lug one around through the day. Mainly I walk or take the subway when traveling around Manhattan, but sometimes it's just easier to take a cab! Some people never travel in a car without a car seat. You just have to follow your own personal comfort level for this issue.

Given the scenario described in the original poster's question, I personally would bring a car seat for travel to and from the various airports. Like someone else mentioned, that's a lot of miles at freeway speeds between destinations. Once in Manhattan, I would leave it in the hotel room during your various excursions during the day though. A decent stroller and possibly some kind of sling or carrier is all you'd need to tote your child around during the day.

Have fun on your trip :)!

dotgirl
06-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the great input!

Here's what we decided to do:

Our DS is 20.6lbs, and 27 inches long. This puts him at 0.6 pounds heaver and 1" longer than the maximum on his Graco Snugride. (He's been in his Britax Marathon for a while, though.) However, upon putting him in it last night, we were able to see that his shoulders are a teeensy bit lower than the last holes for shoulder straps, and his head is about 1.5" below the top of the shell. (He's a fat little guy, and has long legs but a short torso.)

In light of that, we've decided to bring that carseat. We'll see if they have an empty seat and if not, we'll gate check it. So we can use that for the to & from rides to the airport.

So then we were up on the air about the stroller .. in the end, we're bringing our frame - his carseat fits in it, and that way we don't have to lug a carseat and a stroller around the airport. (We're planning to Baby Bjorn him except when he's sleeping.)

So, it's not ideal - I'd rather have his other stroller. But it's definitely the safest option, so we're going with that.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

emilyf
06-16-2004, 03:25 PM
What we have done in this sort of situation is hire a car service to get to and from the airport-call around and you can probably find one that will provide a car seat. Once we are at our destination we have used public transport as much as possible although we have used cabs on occasion (in town) w/out a car seat.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

new_mommy25
06-18-2004, 03:22 AM
I'm so glad you are bringing the carseat. The thought of you driving to SeaTac holding the baby was making me queasy. I know how the drivers are and even if you have the safest cab driver in the world that makes no differece if the cars around you are crazy.

Momof3Labs
06-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Are you sure that he'll tolerate riding in his infant seat and frame? Colin hated that combination once he outgrew it. I'd suggest testing it before taking that combo on your trip - or you'll be stroller shopping in NYC!

american_mama
07-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi, someone on the strollers forum found something called "Safety 1st Tote N Go DX Portable Car Seat at Walmart for $19.99" She used it as a 5 point harness for an old pram she restored, but from the product name, it's marketed to be used as a car seat. There's no seat, just a padded back and the straps, and it would fit in a backpack. Check out a photo on page 2 of
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=37948&mesg_id=37948&page=&topic_page=2

I have no idea how safe this is, how it works, what age child, but it might be worth checking out for those parents struggling with the car seat/taxi issue and other similar situations.

Momof3Labs
07-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Please do a search on this before using it - the car seat techs have posted reviews of it, and it isn't a very good product (better than nothing, but not by much) plus it is only good for a limited weight range.