PDA

View Full Version : Joolsplus2 or other tech... talllllll toddler question

Momof3Labs
06-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Julie or anyone else:

Colin is quite tall for his age, now about 26lbs and over 36" tall. We have a Marathon for DH's car and Roundabouts for my car and my mom's (who sits for him one day a week). He still fits in the Roundabout but I'm starting to think ahead. I think that the right answer is to get a Marathon for my car to replace the Roundabout, so we can keep him rear-facing a while longer. My second choice is a Husky. Which is likely to last longer considering that he is so tall? Does the Husky accomodate a taller child than the Marathon?

Now, for my mom's car, I'd rather not spend $200 again for a seat. They just don't use it much, driving maybe a few miles each day she sits for him. She does need something relatively easy to use (mildly arthritic fingers and hands). But I really want this next seat to last until Colin can move to a booster seat. So I'm looking at the Graco Ultra Cargo, which only harnesses up to 40lbs, but again they don't do much driving together. Height-wise, will Colin be able to use this seat a while? What is the height limit for it? Again, is there a better choice in the $100 range? Another option is to move my seat into her car on days she's with Colin - I feel pretty comfortable installing Britax seats, so maybe this is the right answer...

To throw another bit of info into the mix, FWIW, we do plan to have a second child in the next year or so, so will be doing some hand-me-downs of the seats as it makes sense.

Any thoughts??

murphydog77
06-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi Lori. The Husky will last a lot longer than the Marathon will--it's the size of a minivan captain's chair and I know of 11 year olds who have still fit in it. Heck, I can fit into it OK as long as I don't wear the harness, lol (yes I did try and almost got stuck--can you picture it???). The only drawback for your situation is that it doesn't rear-face.

I think for your mom's car an Ultra CarGo would be just fine. I played with the harness adjuster at Target a few weeks ago and it was easy-to-use. I didn't have a child in it, though, and that can greatly affect the way the adjuster works. I just haven't heard anything bad about it. I believe the harness slots are comparable to the Marathon

HTH!

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.carseatsite.com

Joolsplus2
06-22-2004, 05:47 PM
I don't think Heather said anything I wouldn't have said :)
You might look at the Evenflo Chase, too, for grandma, it has the adjuster ON the harness, and might even be easier to tighten than the Cargo...definitely worth playing with both of them to find out, IMO

Here's that 11 year old Heather mentioned (she DID fit till she was 11, I promise...no one took a picture of it, though, lol) http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/terib/superelite.html

For reference, the Marathon should last till at least age 5, likely age 6, and the Roundabout should get you to age 3.5-4 (his growth WILL slow down, I know it seems unlikely... ;) )

Just find some time go go play with seats when you get the chance...some people are a smidgen disappointed with other seats after Britaxes, so spend a lot of time trying to decide, is my advice

:)
Julie

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx