PDA

View Full Version : RA or MA for almost 3 mo. old?

HHCs Mom
06-25-2004, 12:12 PM
DS is 11 1/2 weeks old. He is now 26" long and is at the maximum height limit for his infant seat! (We expected he would be long as I am 5'11" and DH is 6'1"). He is currently in a Graco Snugride and I am interested in moving him to a Marathon or Roundabout. Since DS still a little bobbly with his head, will the MA or RA recline enough for good head support in the RF position? Would you suggest we get the Marathon since it seems to be better for taller kids? I am debating between the two and the extra $$ for the Marathon seems like the way to go for the extra pounds and inches we'll get out of it. I have an SUV so space isn't an issue.

Also, what do we do about taking him out? When we go to eat or go in a store, I can't just put him in a shopping cart or high chair since he can't sit up! I had thought I'd just keep the Snugride in the back of my SUV to stick him in to go to dinner or to the grocery. He'd be a little too long for it, but he wouldn't be using it as his carseat. Does that make sense? Any ideas about this little problem would be appreciated as well! :-)

Thanks!
Kim
Harrison (4.6.04)

jess_g
06-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi I only know this from this board, but your son is too big from the snugride when there is less than 1 inch of hard shell above his head. My son outgrew the snugride at 6 1/2 months when he was 29inches tall. So you may have some more time to use the infant seat. My son switched to the Marathon and he fits very well in it. we use it rear facing and he is very happy and secure in it.

Also I still keep my snugride in the car for the grocery store and target. That way he has a nice safe place to sit while in the grocery cart. He is just starting to situp on his own now at 8 months old.

I hope this helps some, You may also want to try your son out in the Marathon at a store to see how he fits.

Jessica

HHCs Mom
06-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks! I was all in a panic thinking he'd completely outgrown the Snugride! We will put him in it and see how much space is between his head and the top of the seat.

Why do they put the height limit on the Snugride if there are other ways of determining when the child has outgrown the seat? Seems like they could just *say* that your kid has outgrown it when they reach 20lbs or when the top of their head is within one inch of the top of the seat.

You're doing exactly what I was asking about with the Snugride and the grocery cart. It's so much better when they have a safe, clean place to sit rather than in the cart. Glad it's working for you!

Kim

cluelesswonder
06-25-2004, 03:31 PM
We had the same problem. My daughter outgrew her Graco at 3 months also - mostly torso length. Others seem to be able to keep their infants in the carriers longer since their legs grow longer first.

At the time the RA was the only option for us so we got that. I was also using the Baby Bjorn to carry DD from place to place while shopping. When she got too big for me to carry (~22 lbs) and her legs got too long for the BB, I switched her to the stroller with the seat partially or fully reclined. Once she could sit up, I started putting her in the shopping carts for little stretches at a time until her endurance increased.

If your son is like my daughter, he'll be out of the RA before he's 2.5 yo. My husband is 6 ft and I'm 5'3". DD has been off the charts on height since her 18 month check up. Since you have the option, I would go with the Marathon and skip the RA. They are comparable in ease of use, comfort, safety, and style.

I've taken many cross country trips alone with DD and the RA. I'm not looking forward to the extra weight/height lugging the MA around, but it's so easy to use and quick to install - my mom in CA doesn't need to keep an extra seat around (or 2 since we'd have had to get an extra seat there too!)

Save the extra $200 on the RA and wait until your next seat will have to be a booster.

HTH,
Karen
Elsa's mom

puppymom
06-25-2004, 09:37 PM
I agree with the other posts - go for the Marathon. As for shopping, skip the plastic bucket and invest in a good sling or baby carrier. It is *much* better for spinal development to be held. Car seats are for the car. I had good luck choosing a baby carrier at peppermint.com. Beware of the Baby Bjorn - it's OK for short periods of time when they are newborns, but does not do good things for their spine when used in the outward-facing position.

GL!