PDA

View Full Version : Non-britax car seat recommendations please :)

MaisyBabies
06-29-2004, 10:29 PM
I posted earlier about a seat and since it didn't get the favorable review that I was looking for, we are back to square one looking for the next seats to buy.

We have triplets, so we have to purchase three seats. I really don't want to shell out $600+ on the Britax car seats. Seems that Britax is all that is talked about here.

Can anyone make a couple suggestions for other seats out there that aren't over $150 a piece?

We have a Honda Odessey and I would like to eventually put all three seats across the back row, not until they are all forward facing though.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Heather
GBG Triplets born 1/19/04

Elilly
06-29-2004, 11:21 PM
I know that some people don't like them but we love the evenflo triumph. I tried the graco comfortsport but the padding was not very plush and the straps twisted very easily so I sold it to a resale shop after just 2 weeks of use. I prefer the Britax but the evenflo is still very nice for about half the cost. They often go on sale at Target for $105. HTH!

darby24
06-30-2004, 12:07 AM
I agree with the suggestion of Evenflo Triumph. Though I don't have one, I have played with them in stores. It does have the EPS foam like Britax.

Since the adjuster is on the side I think it would pose a problem if all were on the same bench rear facing. Forward facing I *think* would be okay. Stressing big on the think.

There are plenty of people who own the Triumph out there, maybe more owners will respond. And there are a number of techs on the board, maybe they'll be able to suggest more ideas.

Is it possible to go to a store (BRU?) and try 3 seats out first? That would really help you along. Then when you have a seat/combo that works you can look for a better deal online. HTH

daisymommy
06-30-2004, 12:38 AM
We have the Evenflo Triumph, and up until now, we have absolutley LOVED this seat. The only reason we are getting rid of it is because after 1.5 years of use, the padding is worn down and uncomfortable to sit in. That's it. If it was still soft to sit in, I'd keep it for the rest of our future kids!

I find it easy to install, easy to use (both rear facing and forward facing), easy to get a perfect fit on DS every time, nice and high up so he can see out the window, and in the beginning, a very comfortable seat.

I do think that when babies are smaller and first in this seat RF you should use a Snuggler insert type of thing so they're heads aren't flopping around in such a huge open seat. DS looked lost in it at only 4 months old, but he was so big, he had already outgrown his infant seat.

Good Luck!

Karenn
06-30-2004, 12:57 AM
I also have a Triumph that I'm happy with. My only concern with using it in your situation is that the seat seems awfully wide and I'm not convinced that I'd be able to fit 3 across my back seat. It would definitly be worth checking out though! I really do think it's a great seat.

ShayleighCarsensMom
06-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Evenflo will give you a replacement seat cover if you call :-)

MartiesMom2B
06-30-2004, 03:00 PM
We have the Triumph too and we are very happy with it. I would wonder about the same concerns too, regarding the width of the seat and having them side by side. Definitely try it out and see what you think. I think I read somewhere that the Triumph was rated to be the safest carseat according to consumer reports, while the Britax were rated the highest for ease of use.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jennifer13
06-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Just wanted to give you support in buying a non-Britax seat! I have a Britax and wish I hadn't spent so much money on a seat. It's nice but it hasn't felt worth the extra $$ at all. If you can fit 3 Evenflo Triumph's in your car, that would probably be a good choice. My friends love theirs, and I wish I had bought one instead!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

Elilly
07-05-2004, 10:26 AM
The Evenflo Triumphs are on-sale at Target this week for $98!!!! I'm going to get two b/c I'll have two kids in convertible seats for a while.