PDA

View Full Version : Question about seatbelts locking in a Mercedes...

JamiMac
07-14-2004, 12:20 AM
We just got a Mercedes and the manual is very vague about seatbelts and non-existent about installing carseats. I know on my Chevy Venture you are supposed to pull the belt all the way out and then work from there on tightening it. I can get a rock solid fit on my Roundabout this way. Do I need a locking clip for the Mercedes seatbelt? The car is a 1991 560 SEL. I'll be installing a Marathon and an infant seat and then eventually a Marathon and Roundabout.

Oh, and it doesn't have tether bolts either. I did not realize this when we bought it because the manual clearly states there are child tether anchors. I have asked two Mercedes mechanics and they say there are not any. I certainly can't find them. The dealership says there is nothing they can do for liability reasons. Is there anything to do on this model or will I have to leave them untethered?
Will I be able to get them solid? The car has a *huge* backseat so space is not a problem.

I would love any advice!
Thanks!

Joolsplus2
07-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi :)
The Tether/LATCH manual lists loads of Mercs, but not yours (it figures, right? lol). What it says for all the other models after 1984 is the same thing: "Spacer: 100 99 104 40 (same in outboard and center seats)" "Use the generic anchor kit provided by the restraint manufacturer. A 5/16" bolt is required for the weld nut"

So it sounds like you need the "spacer" from the dealer, and somehow need to find a generic anchor kit (they DID used to come with all car seats, now you might have to google to find one) and the 5/16" bolt.

It sounds a little...involved...I guess I can see why they wouldn't want to do it...either liability, like they say, or they just don't know how to do it. Maybe calling their corporate number and asking the higher ups would help: 1-800-367-6372.

As for your seatbelts (the outboard lap/shoulder ones) they probably do not lock except in a crash or hard braking, so you will need to use the lockoffs on your Marathon for proper installation. If you use any other brand of carseat in the outboard position, you will need a locking clip. The center belt *should* have a "locking latchplate" and hold tight just fine on it's own (there are some instances where you need a heavy duty belt shortening clip on some lapbelts, but let's not get into that unless we have to). I don't know what infant seat you've chosen, but the Britax Companion has built-in lockoffs and you can skip the locking clips (of course, that's a hefty price for the convenience of not having to use a locking clip, lol, but I thought you might like to know at least it's an option).
Oh, I just thought of something. Check the "latchplates" (male end) on your lap/shoulder belts, and see if there is a picture of a person and a picture of a carseat with a sliding "button" on it. Some mercs and other EU cars have that, and it makes installing seats a breeze (no promises on that one, but DO check...if it has that feature, then you won't need any locking clips at all).

Does that help any? Tell me if I missed anything (dh is fighting me for the puter ;) )
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

JamiMac
07-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Thanks so much for responding! I was out of town or would have thanked you earlier.

My infant seat is a Graco Snugride. I need to play with it to see if I need the locking clip I guess.

Again, thank you so much!

sbaker
07-17-2004, 01:23 AM
We have a 90 350SDL that is very similar to your 560SEL. They do not have locking seatbelts for childseats. We have installed a Marathon in it. You can get a VERY solid install using the lockoffs on the Marathon. We have been told by our local MB guy that you can get a retrofit kit for the tether anchors, but you have to order it directly from MB in Germany. If we keep this car long enough we will probably try to order them.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

cpstechmom
07-18-2004, 02:44 AM
I actually have a generic tether bolt if you need/want it. It came w/my mom's Century Accel in 2002 and we aren't going to be using it. It's just sitting in a drawer in my bedroom.

Let me know if you want it and I'll send it to you.

Janice M. Mom to Cias-born 4/13/02 and forever rear-facing in his Britax Marathon.