PDA

View Full Version : What's the best car seat for an infant????

jpgamble
07-15-2004, 08:29 PM
There are so many choices in strollers, and everyone seems to have a different opinion. As a soon to be first-time mom, I'm overwhelmed!!

I had pretty much decided on the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio carrier and the P3 stroller. Now, I keep reading how great the Grace Snug Ride carrier is. My question is whether this carrier will fit into the P3 stroller? Also, what about size? Both of these carriers state limits of 20 pounds and 26 inches. I've read the problems about height on the PP carrier, but haven't heard that about the Graco.

I'd love to save the $$ and get the Graco, but want to make sure I'm getting the best carrier...

amp
07-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Well, in the BB book version I have, they recommended the Snugride, so that's what we bought and we loved it. Refer to your book and see if that's still what Alan & Denise are recommending. Also, you'll find lots of different opinions here on what is the best seat. Everyone has their preference. All infant seats have a height restriction that make you move to a convertible seat sooner than you think you will, but some give you another inch or so. It really doesn't add a lot of extra time. I think our Graco was 20lb 26" and DS outgrew it just before turning 4 mths old.

kijip
07-17-2004, 03:00 AM
Graco Snugride is better in my opinion since you can use it w/out the base. The Peg seat has to be used with the base. That is a pain for traveling or switching cars. The stroller car seat issue is pretty small since they outgrow the seats really fast and the stoller can be used without the carseat from birth. Unofficially the Snugride fits in the P3. We had a long baby and had to move out of the carrier by 4 months. If we wanted to use the carrier longer we would have been better off with a seat with a 29 or 30 inch limit. Toby did not break 30 inches until 8 plus months.

Rikkele
07-17-2004, 05:25 PM
FWIW, we have never used the car seat carrier with the stroller. We always just lay DD in the stroller with the seat in full recline. IMHO the Viaggio is just not worth the money for the short amount of time you will be using it. Plus the Snug ride is just as safe, if not safer.

BTW we have a Silver Cross Camden and Graco snug ride.

TraciG
07-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Graco snugride, just stopped using it today, used it for 81/2 months.

kjezierski
07-18-2004, 11:32 PM
We bought the Snug Ride because it performed best in crash tests performed by Consumers Report.

Kathleen
Mommy to Alex
04/29/04

new_mommy25
07-19-2004, 05:26 AM
I used my Graco with the P3 with no problem. We stopped using the Graco at 7 months.

trashels
07-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Loved the Snug Ride also. I just stopped using it and my son is 7 months. I used it with my Metrolite stroller and the Snap N Go. It has great safety ratings. I would get it

Tracey

smzapalac
07-19-2004, 09:53 PM
I am going through the exact same thing as you. I went to Babies R Us and checked out Peg Perego carrier vs. the Graco SnugRide. Hands down the Graco seemed sturdier and A LOT easier to use. I strongly suggest you go to a baby store and test out the carriers before you purchase. Another thing to consider is if you want to purchase the P3, you will have to purchase the Peg Perego carrier. Per an e-mail I recieved today from Peg Perego Corp.

'We only manufacture an adapter bar for the Milano/Venezia models.

Thank you,
Carolina-Customer Service Email
Peg Perego USA
[email protected]'

Therefore, I think you would be taking a chance putting a non-Peg carrier in the P3. If you are determined to get a Peg stroller, consider getting the Milano/Venezia model, the adapeter bar, and the Graco carrier.

Good Luck!

Sangiovese
07-20-2004, 07:40 PM
I would recommend getting a Snap N Go (stroller frame that holds infant car seat) to use with the infant car seat and using the P3 when you aren't using the infant car seat (and when your baby outgrows the infant car seat).

Here is my best piece of advice - don't buy your long-term stroller based on its ability to hold your preferred infant car seat - this is a fabulous feature, but it isn't a feature that is used long relative to how long you may use the stroller. Or do what the others suggest and just use the P3 to hold the Snugride - you could always use a bungee cord for extra security.

I had my first 4 years ago and bought the matching travel system. I ended up buying a Pliko after a year because the travel system stroller was terrible. I'm having a second, almost 5 years later, and I'm going with the Graco Snugride and a Snap N Go (which I will try to beg, steal, or borrow from a friend) for my travel system and my Pliko for my main stroller. (A Snap N Go is a great product to pass around among your friends, since it isn't used too long.)

Okay, maybe that was more advice than you asked for, but, after my experience, I don't want anyone to repeat my frustration!

Personally, I would go with the Snugride over the Peg car seat because of the base issue and the price. And the Snugride received high ratings in crash tests performed by Consumer Reports

Enjoy!

fairyfahrenholz
07-24-2004, 12:03 AM
We bought the Graco Snugride and are using it with a Combi PM stroller...Combi says it only works with their car seats, but we've checked it 7 ways to Sunday and it works perfectly with the Snugride.

For the money, I'm glad we went with the Snugride...we did however go with one of the higher priced models (I know there is debate on my next comment), but I didn't like what I felt was cheap foam Graco used with the less expensive models. We got a model with the "memory foam" and our daughter loves it. She's comfortable in her seat for a very long time on trips to the mall or stores.

HTH! Good luck! :)

Kristen

Mommyto3
07-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Love, love, love the snugride!! My neighbor had the viaggio and didn't like it at all..FWIW.

The snugride is super easy to get in and out, and although, technically, it's not 'allowed' I use it all the time with my P3..fits perfectly fine...no problems. The P3 is a great stroller, and I would recommend it also!

Good luck..