PDA

View Full Version : help! All you parents of big babies - I need your advice

sally f
07-18-2004, 01:16 PM
My ds is outgrowing his convertible car seat (Evenflo Triumph) at 7 mos. He needs to be rearfacing for 5 more months. I need something that will accomodate him til then. He was 28" 22 lbs at his 6 mo appt. He has a very long trunk (and short, chunky legs), which I think is why his head is already 1" from the top of the seat back.

Any suggestions for a rearfacing seat for taller babies?

JElaineB
07-18-2004, 01:28 PM
The top of the head does not need to be 1" from the top of the shell in a rear-facing convertible seat, that is the rule for a rear-facing infant seat. For a convertible seat, you can use it until the limit stated by the manufacturer, or until the child's head reaches the top of the seat. Also, check with the instructions that came with your seat. Your child could also outgrow the harness slots. Some seats do not allow you to use the top harness slot rear facing (such as the Graco ComfortSport model that I have). In a rear facing convertible seat the child's shoulders should be at or just above the harness slot. You will probably get somewhat longer use rear-facing out of the Britax Marathon or Wizard, as they have a taller shell and higher harness slots than most other seats. Here are some links that will give you some more information:

http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

ETA: There is a slightly different interpretation of the "1-inch" rule on these two pages even though they are from the same website. Maybe a car seat tech can clarify for us the distance the head should be from the top of the seat back for a rear-facing convertible?

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Joolsplus2
07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Jennifer, you are right on with this, except there is one unfortunate hitch: The Triumph clearly states that the top of the head can be no more than one inch from the top of the seatback...it's the only convertible I know of that has this rule. It is also imperative that the fullest recline be used in the RF position, so there's no hope of the baby scrunching down a bit if the seat is installed less reclined.

Normally, kids are too tall for the Triumph RF when they are 14-16 months old, but all kids are different, so I'm not freaked out that a tall 7 mo is too tall.

So, your choices are: Get a Marathon, it will last by far the longest RF and FF. Get a Roundabout, it can be used RF till the tops of the ears are even with the top of the seat. Use the Triumph anyway till the top of the head is even with the top of the seat.Get a Touriva/Regal Ride/ComfortRide for $40, you should have more time for rearfacing in that, it's a rather tall back (this is the cheapest option if you don't want to use the Triumph "illegally" and you can't return it...it's great for forward facing).

Hope one of those options works for you. Maybe even try calling evenflo and complaining and asking about the head reaching the top of the seatback. Clearly their product design and rules have put you in a bind that is compromising your child's safety....let them know it.

:)
Good luck.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

amp
07-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Yikes! Julie - Apparently I have not done my research on the seat we own! Are you saying that the triumph cannot be used any more when the childs head is 1" from the top of the seat? Is that for RF & FF both? My son is over a year, but I still have him RF, although he rarely uses that seat, since it's in DH car. I have the MA in my car, so he's fine in that one.

Joolsplus2
07-19-2004, 02:44 PM
It's only for rearfacing that they have that one inch rule, for foward it's the usual rules of weight limit reached, shoulders above top slots, or tops of ears to top of seatback (whichever comes first). I know a lot of 4 yo's who still fit in this seat FF just fine :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

amp
07-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Whew! Thanks Julie! I'll have to take a look at the manual and also at DS's head in relation to the seat back. At least he is a year old if we need to turn him around. Like I said, he's in the MA most of the time. Thanks!