PDA

View Full Version : Wizard RF in an airplane?

caheinz
07-18-2004, 08:47 PM
OK, we just upgraded to a Wizard from a SnugRide. DS is only 3.5mos, but he's a very long boy and didn't have much room left. (He was over 13lbs and 24in by 2 months...)

When the tech was installing it in our car, we were chatting about the fact that we're moving in about a month. As part of that, DS and I will be flying to our new home, and I preferred to cart a convertible around (including installing it in a rental in our current home after DH leaves with the car and furbabies).

Well, the tech told me that unless we were in first class (we aren't), the Wizard won't fit RF on a plane!

So, DS is waaaaaaay too young to even consider FF. I'd prefer carting the Wizard (or another convertible) to the SnugRide + base.

Is this really a problem with the Wizard, or is it the "seat in front won't recline" excuse? We're flying two legs on United, and we each (DS and I) have a seat, always window and the seat next to it.

If it is a problem, any suggestions? We plan to eventually get a second convertible seat, but were hoping to wait a bit, and possibly get a second Wizard (we probably won't immediately have two cars in the new location.). Do kids seem to deal fairly well with switching between the head cushions on the Wizard and other seats?

(Did a search, and didn't see this discussed yet...)

Thanks!!!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-18-2004, 10:30 PM
I use a Marathon rear facing in planes all the time. I don't think the Wizard is bigger than a Marathon, is it?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

tippy
07-19-2004, 01:47 AM
No suggestions but I am waiting for the airlines to wise up and start offering car seats as an option when booking a flight. Even if I was bringing mine with me during a trip I might just check it and go with the one already on the plane since when travelling alone with a child it's a real pain to install by yourself. Good luck!

geochick
07-19-2004, 11:46 AM
I just flew Continental on June 30th with my Wizard RF. I had to leave the arm rest between me and the Wizard up so that the Wizard would fit in the seat (don't book bulkhead seats with the Wizard - the arm rests don't go up). The Wizard took up about 1/5 of my seat space and I wasn't too comfortable - I am going to invest in a smaller, more portable seat the next time I fly. I transported the Wizard through the airport on a Micro-Mover dolly (very handy), but once I got on the plane I had to remove the Wizard from the dolly to get it down the aisle of the plane (it was too wide to roll - I had to lift it at a level above the seat arms). The person who sat in front of my son probably wouldn't have been able to recline his seat, but he didn't try. The Wizard was very easy to install on the plane and there were no troubles getting the buckle undone when it was time to deplane. Good luck.

By the way, my son transitioned from his SnugRide to his Wizard with no problems. He seems to like his Wizard much more than his SnugRide. He naps better in the car and loves having the head supports to rest his head on when he naps. We just ordered another Wizard for my husband's car.

Katia
07-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Oh, it'll fit...I just on America West with a rear-facing Wizard and it worked just fine! Like a previous poster said, you will need to leave the armrest up between you and your DS, but otherwise I found the arrangement quite easy and comfortable. The person sitting in front of DS couldn't recline his seat, but I didn't lose any sleep over this...and I would hope the airline wouldn't give you too much grief over it, either!

On the other hand, if my DS could still fit in his SnugRide, I'd much prefer traveling with that (without the base). Nice thing about that is that you don't need to take your baby out to install the seat; I can imagine that being difficult if traveling alone, especially with a young baby that doesn't sit up unassisted.

Good luck with your move!

caheinz
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks, all! It's great to know it will fit.

DS isn't a big fan of the SnugRide, and I dislike carrying him in it (it's heavy enough empty!), so I was planning on carrying him in the Bjorn, anyways. We have a backpack diaper bag, and I'll put the Wizard on a cart of some sort (a Micro Mover if the older one we already have doesn't work). Everything else will be checked. (We're leaving town almost a week after the movers...)

Seems to be pretty easy to install, so I'm hoping I can do it with him in the Bjorn. If not, he can sit propped in my seat for the minutes it takes!

Now just hoping things settle out on the second leg... We actually don't have seats assigned for that trip, and there aren't any windows available. Can the car seat be used in the center of a 3-section plane? (They seem to be holding out on our assignments to see if a window opens up.) And, I just got the record to note that DS is an infant -- the reservation was made by someone else, and they apparently didn't think to do so. (Not currently impressed with the planning by the person who made them... need to remember that these tickets were a gift...)

Katia
07-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Oh you're right...with your DS in the Bjorn, it should be pretty easy to install the Wizard.

I think you will definitely need a window seat. With an RF convertible seat, there's no way another passenger can get by with the seat installed. Even in that middle seating area, I would think it would be an issue in the interest of safety for all. (No personal experience with FF, but I imagine that could be a problem as well.) Also make sure that you're not seated near an exit row. We *did* indicate that our DS was an infant when we made our reservations online, but still got assigned to a row that we couldn't use once we got there. It might be worth making an old-fashioned phone call to plead your case -- it would have saved us a minor hassle once we boarded.

caheinz
07-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I was already on the phone with United...

For the flight where we have seats, we're in row 11, and 9 is the exit row. This should be fine, right?

For the other one, well, I'm just hoping it works out. I will start a fuss if they try to tell me I have to hold him after we got him an assigned seat (and since these tickets were gifted with miles, it wasn't half off -- infant fares "cost" the same number of miles as an adult!). (And I will refuse to gate check the seat, since that ends the same way.) I would rather wait on another flight...

Hopefully, since it's the second leg, they'll just be able to give me a pair with a window seat when we check in for the first flight... There were no windows available when I just called... There must be something in our record requesting a window, though, since she (on the phone) said they were waiting on assigning us seat numbers to see if a window became available...

(Wishing we had decided to simply BUY tickets with American... more room between rows, and a direct flight!!!!)