PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Bauer Tech Elite.......

kattpar
07-20-2004, 04:12 AM
Does anyone have any information on this car seat? My son is 10 months and growing out of his snug ride. We have a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant, so I worry about these big car seats fitting. (should've kept my SUV) On Babies R Us the reviews are VERY good, but in the book the Eddie Bauer did not rate well. I was unable to find the most recent version of the book at Barnes and Nobles. It was the same one I had which did not list this exact style. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows safety information on putting a car seat in the rear center using a LATCH from each of the rear side seats is safe?...Thanks!

tiggernpooh02
07-23-2004, 03:05 PM
The Eddie Bauer Tech Elite is the EXACT same seat as the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite. Below are the pros and cons:

Pros:
*Rearfaces to 35lbs and is quite tall for rearfacing. This is important, since it is a MUST to keep baby rearfacing for at least 1 yr and 20lbs, preferably longer.

*Well padded

*Base can be removed to make installation easier

*Harness is taller than on previous models

*BPB booster guides have been revamped and are better.

*Harness adjustor is a couple inches higher than the regular Alpha Omega, therefore making it easier to adjust rearfacing.

Cons:

*Will not be the last seat you ever need. Most kids will outgrow it by height before they are ready to be out of a booster

*Twisty straps

*Very large, may not install well in some vehicles. I have heard complaints that is too tall when rearfacing.

*Tricky LATCH straps. It takes me a good 20 minutes to move them to the proper location for rear or forward facing and I am a tech! This poor mother sat out in the BRU parking lot for an hour trying to figure it out.

*Instructions are not super clear

*Somewhat sticky harness adjustor

Overall, it is an ok seat. I can use it fairly easily, although some people have trouble with it. I would try it in your car and see how it fits.

As for the LATCH question, look in your vehicle owners manual. It should tell you if you can. I have an '01 Ford Escape with LATCH and I can use the side LATCH in the middle.

HTH,

Jacky

Jacky

Joolsplus2
07-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Hey Jacky? Could you measure the old AO and the new AOE top useable strap slot heights for me? I've measured them and got 14.5 and 16, respectively, but one tech swears they are the same, and claims she called cosco and THEY say are the same....and since you work where you can check them...would you mind ever so much doing that? I'd really appreciate it! Also, I hear the headrest/harness adjuster breaks easily? Of the 4 I've played with, three were broken, but I was wondering what the broader experience is with that?

Thanks in advance!
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tiggernpooh02
07-26-2004, 12:28 AM
Julie,
I measured the top slots and I too got the same for both the old AO and the new AO. About three months ago, I tried my friends 3 yr old, 25 lb dd in both and she definately had more growing room in the AOE than the original. My friend had the old EB 3n1 and her dd was already above the useable slots, but way under 30lbs, which is the minimum for the booster mode. She called Cosco and they agreed to replace the seat. We tried her in the AOE and she has probably an inch to 2 inches before she even reached the top useable slot. I have no idea why this is, but I will measure them again to just to see. We have discontinued carrying the old AO, but I have one I can measure.

As for the height adjustor breaking, YES, I have had that problem on all three models that we have. I have replaced the floor models at least twice on all of them. I think the AOE has broken 4 times. Apparently, Cosco claims to fixed this problem on newer models.

Jacky

Joolsplus2
07-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Isn't that wild about the top slots being the same? Bitsy had loads of growing room in the AOE compared to the AO, too, when she was about 4 and 41 inches. It's haunted like the Evenflos! LOL
I hope they HAVE fixed the headrest design, what a nightmare it must be to have to keep replacing floor models (well, not nightmare, but annoying inconvenience, I'm sure!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

murphydog77
07-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Butting in here :). Does the AOE have less padding under the bum? That could account for some of it.

Heather