PDA

View Full Version : need narrow convertible seat suggestions (3 carseats in dodge neon)

bridgetb125
07-20-2004, 05:55 PM
I need some suggestions for a convertible carseat. My son is almost 4 months old but already too tall for his infant seat. I need something narrow because I have a dodge neon. Right now I have a graco turbobooster, century encore, and evenflo discovery infant seat just fitting in it. I need to replace the evenflo discovery infant seat with a convertible. Any ideas as to what would fit? I want something that is good, but the cheaper the price the better.

Joolsplus2
07-20-2004, 07:40 PM
The narrowest convertible out there is the Cosco Touriva/Regal Ride, or Safety First Comfort Ride (all the same seat shell, different covers, Touriva at walmart listed as "tourvia", RR at Target, and ComfortRide at Kmart, and they are also the cheapest options available at or under $40 or so.
Or could you put your Encore rearfacing for the baby, and look at a Graco Ultra/Platinum Cargo for the toddler? It's quite narrow, too, and a little more than those convertibles, but is also a bit higher quality. If you even want to go narrower on the booster, the Britax starriser comfy is narrower than the Turbo (but I'm just throwing that out there, don't know if you need to know it, lol. I know a mom with a neon and a Britax Marathon in the middle with two starriser comfies outboard, and she swears they are the easiest to buckle).

I think the Graco ComfortSport is also quite narrow and not too pricey, if you want to look at that one, too.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

bridgetb125
07-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the reply! Okay I messed up..I don't have the century encore anymore. I replaced it with the century breverra ascend. I looked at the manuel to double check when you mentioned turning it around. So, that won't work since the century is not a convertible seat. I would love to have all britax but I just don't have the money to replace them all. I am quite happy with the graco turbobooster anyway. I have the one with the back. I looked at the cosco tourivia 5 point carseat at walmart. Do you know anything about that one? I would go for it, but is it good? I always went with more popular brands like graco in the past, but this one does look like it would fit. Plus the price is great. I would love to hear what you think about this one in particular. What do you think about using a snuzzler with it? Is that safe? The only other option I was thinking would be the graco comfortsport in the clarke pattern. I would have to order that one online through walmart. I'm not even sure if it would fit. The price difference makes me want to go for the cosco one though...$115 plus shipping vs. $38. What do you think?

Joolsplus2
07-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Personally I'm quite fond of the Touriva. I used it when I babysat a friend of mine's baby. I used it rearfacing and found it to be adequately well adjustable, a simple seat to understand and install properly and not uncomfortable for the baby. For the price, it really can't be beat, I think. Some other moms do have more difficulties with it, and I'll admit it's no Britax, but it's not a terrible seat at all, especially given your space limitations. To get a decent recline for a younger baby, you'll need a rolled towel or pool noodle, as it is a rather upright seat when rearfacing.
As for adding a snuzzler, it's generally not recommended you add anything to a seat that *may* compromise the tightness and proper routing of the harness (puffier pads can compress in a crash and leave the harness very loose). There may be a warning in the manual about not adding "aftermarket" products, but I understand an uncomfortable baby in the car is not a happy thing, so as long as you are making an informed decision to add a thin little something to your seat, it's really up to you.
Anyway, yup, it's a great deal for a narrow seat :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx