PDA

View Full Version : Techs...Help! Convertible car seat for 2002 Explorer and 2000 Mercury Cougar

tbaker018
07-22-2004, 03:49 PM
My son is quickly outgrowing his Snugride. He is 4 mos. old and weighes 17lbs and is 27 in long. I need to buy two convertibles but do not want to spend "tons" of money on them.

The explorer is the main car and the cougar would be for quick rides and as a back-up. Any suggestions on what would fit and is good quality. I have checked carseatdata.org, but not much shows-up. I have been looking at the Evenflo Triumph for the Explorer, but I am not sure about the fit (should be in the center). I have no idea about the Cougar....it is very small in the back (it is basically a sports car).

Please help!

Joolsplus2
07-22-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm sure anything will fit in the explorer (try 03 and 04 model years, too, they are the same). The cougar, though, I have heard about so many problems with that :( . and there's nothing for any cougars in the database?
Are you going to get convertibles first, or look at infant seats?
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mamaturk
07-23-2004, 09:54 AM
We have a 2004 Explorer and use the Triumph, It goes in REALLY tight but in the side position.

vikivoly
07-26-2004, 02:20 AM
We used our Britax RA FF in the Cougar on occassion. I'll admit, it's not the best fit, but I'm not sure what would be. DH was able to tighten it enough to pass the 1" movement rule from side to side, but if you pulled on the front of the seat it shifted. It does help to fill the "hole" in the seat with a blanket. The pool noodle didn't work.

Oh, I just remembered. We put Grandma's Graco Comfortsport RF in and took it to a carseat tech. They were able to install it tighter than we did and said it was ok.