PDA

View Full Version : Grandma wants to buy a carseat. Which one?

sareva
07-23-2004, 01:12 AM
My baby will be 4+ months old when we go to stay in Asheville, NC for about 10 days. My mother was thinking of buying a stroller (maybe even 2nd hand) and a carseat (*not* secondhand) for our visit and future visits/grandkids so I don't have to deal (we're moving across the country and baby is "high maintenance" so I don't want to schlep a car seat and stroller by myself). Can you ladies recommend a not-too-expensive convertible (is that the right word? One that goes to 40-45 lbs or so...) carseat? I want baby to be safe but I don't want my mom to spend $250+ after all the help and presents she's already given to us.
Thanks
sarah, mom to zoe 3-28-04

Sangiovese
07-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Graco Comfort Sport is supposed to be a good basic convertible car seat and a good buy. (I used the pre-Comfort Sport, can't remember the name, as my daughter's main convertible, and it was great.)

Just a suggestion for a stroller - I was in Babies R Us, and they had two inexpensive Chiccos. One was about $50 and the other was about $70 or $80. The pricier one had more features (better for infants). (I'm not sure that the lower priced one had a basket). Anyway, something to check out!

Enjoy!

sareva
07-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Thanks for responding! I think that's the seat we're going to go with. I was thinking about the Chicco as well but we might go with the Graco Citilite (spelling? it's a little more expensive but it's ultimately my mom's decision..hmm, i think she said citi and not metro). Sorry, musing away there. Anyway, thanks again.
Sarah

ALLEYCAT
07-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi Sarah, I work in Asheville and live just north of town in Weaverville. I would be happy to lend a Cosco Touriva and a stroller while you are here if you don't want to buy anything right now. There is also a good second hand shop called The Childrens Trading Place on Merrimon Ave if you want to look for a stroller there.

sareva
07-28-2004, 02:10 AM
Oh rats on a stick! I didn't check this post and she already went ahead and ordered -- a Graco Citilite stroller and a ComfortSport seat. I'm hoping they work out OK. I have to admit I'm a little skeptical about the stroller, but that's b/c I occasionally look at those darn stroller boards and start obsessing. Thanks so much for the offer! I'll definitely check out the shop while I'm there. If you're the type who wants to look at slings/wraps or cloth diapering stuff, let me know b/c I'll be bringing some with me. My grandfather lived in Horse Shoe for over 20 years and my parents will be building a house in the area to stay in for the rest of their lives, so I'll be visiting a lot. Gosh, the new place might even be in Weaverville, now that I think about it. Well, let me know -- I have a ring sling, a Mom-and-Me pouch, a Hug-a-Bub, an EllaRoo, and some basic fitted dipes, prefolds, some FuzziBunz, and a few different covers (nothing very fancy except for one SugarPeas fleece -- heaven!). I probably won't bring it all but if there's something you want to check out...
Thanks, Sarah

marybliss
07-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Just a thought... we just got a Citilite on clearance at BRU and LOVE it! It's been a great light weight stroller for our 9 mo old.

Mary

mtnbaby
07-28-2004, 12:24 PM
note about the Graco Comfort Sport--we tried that seat rear-facing for grandmother's car as well and had an awful time installing it safely rear-facing. After we had to return it, I went online to inquire if others had the same problem and as it turns out, MANY ppl have the same problem rear-facing (not so much forward facing). I would HIGHLY recommend getting whatever you choose installed or at least checked by a CPS tech!! Good luck!

ALLEYCAT
07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Sarah, I have several ring slings I have made myself and am new to CD. Right now I have a dozen Bumkins medium and Several different pockets from all over the place. My biggest problem is the inserts, what to use, how to stuff ect. I don't do the prefold or fitted thing, I am afraid of poop! Email me if you do end up in this area, I work Mon-Fri 3pm till 11pm if you want to get together it would be AM or weekends for me. Happy travelling, Leslie

sareva
07-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Hi Leslie,
You *made* ring slings! That's great! I just got a sewing machine so maybe one day I'll be able to do something like that. I'll have my pouch and my wraps with me if you want to check them out IRL. I have a couple of inserts but probably what you already have (joeybunz, another type of hemp insert, a MOE, a couple of hemp dipes) -- happy to bring them if you want to check them out. I have been a PF kinda girl but am reconsidering. I have a small Bumkins and also some Fuzzibunz for when Zoe gets bigger. I'd love to check out your pockets, if you don't mind. My parents' apartment and site where they're building are in Weaverville (well, I think the apartment is at the edge of town). I'll send you an email after I arrive on the 10th, and if we can get together, it would be great. Take care, sarah