PDA

View Full Version : Carseat needed for car with no rear tether

colleenfs
07-24-2004, 11:19 PM
This is something I haven't seen here before. My 2.5 year old is in an Evenflo Triumph in the family car, a Toyota 4 Runner SUV. We do not currently have a carseat in my husband's car, but I'd like to get something in there so he can occasionally drop her off at preschool in the fall. He drives a 99 Mazda Protege. I have a Fisher Price Safe Embrace that I'd like to use in this car. I have the rear tether attachment kit from Mazda, but the dealer refuses to install it. They say that it is not possible to use in this car. Should I accept this answer or try somewhere else? Or can we install it ourselves? Alternatively, is there a convertible seat that is safe to use in this car with no rear tether? Or can we try some other sort of seat with her now? (She is 2.5 years old, 33 pounds, 36 inches.) Please help!!

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

JElaineB
07-25-2004, 11:47 AM
I don't think a rear tether is 100% necessary for a FF convertible seat. I'm sure having it will increase safety, but my understanding is you can use FF convertible seats without the tether. I hope so, anyway, because the secondary FF seats we have in my husband's and in-law's cars do not have rear tether anchors. We use a ComfortSport and Cosco Touriva in thier cars without tethering. They are pretty rock solid installed with the seatbelt.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Joolsplus2
07-25-2004, 01:00 PM
You don't technically "need" the top tether anchor, though it can reduce head excursion by up to 8 inches in some cases. I would either try to do it yourself (did the part come with instructions? My book says there are "weld nuts in rear filler panel" which means you pretty much just have to screw them in place...you might have to cut some carpet out, though...but look in the trunk, you should see the places where they screw in).
Call Mazda corporate at 1800-222-5500 to see what their policy is, and tell them which dealer is giving you a hard time, there's no reason for them not to do it, IMO.
Go ahead and use the seat if you need to, even without the anchor, but look into getting them as soon as possible.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx