PDA

View Full Version : Help! What's the safest convertible seat for a 12-week old??

Judegirl
07-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Yep. 12 weeks tomorrow. And she's outgrown her SnugRide. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has to buy a new carseat before her baby is even 3 months old!

She'd have another inch or so except that she's long-torsoed, so her shoulders are higher than the highest halter slot, and her head is pretty much at the top of the seat. Obviously, we don't want to take any chances.

So what do I buy? She doesn't quite hold her head up yet. She's about 14 pounds. Do these things matter, or do I just buy whatever's considered the safest? (And which one is that? LOL)

I didn't do the research in time...I thought I had a couple more months!

Thank you!
Jude

Joolsplus2
07-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Don't worry, you're not alone. It's not that you have a massive baby, it's just that the snugride is so very, well...Snug! Infant seats actually fit kids till a year, just a couple years ago...
Anyway, there are a few definite opinions on this board about the best seats, so scroll down and read a few ;)

The fave seats are quite spendy, but you will use them for YEARS (3-6, depending on the seat), so don't be too jaded by your infant seat experience.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Judegirl
07-27-2004, 01:22 AM
I've been browsing the threads for a couple of days, actually, but I can't tell which seats are for which ages...and I wasn't sure whether the fact that she's so young should be taken into consideration.

Thanks,
Jude

JElaineB
07-27-2004, 01:36 AM
If cost isn't a factor get the Britax Marathon (assuming it will fit in your car properly). It will last a long time, even for a large baby. It is safe from 5 lbs. and up.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

adelynsmom
07-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Just wanted to let you know that with the Infant Seat (Snugride) as long as there it 1 inch of plastic shell above her head, she is still ok lengthwise. Because she is rearfacing, it is OK and even recommended that the slots are BELOW the shoulder. Since she is still way within the weight limit, I'd take a look at the head/shell clearance before ditching the seat.

But I second the Britax Marathon as a great convertible seat. I bought one for my daughter when she was 4 months old. We hit the weight limit for us before the height limit. She was 21 lbs at her 6 month appt! This seat will last you a long time since it's rearfacing up to 33 lbs and then forward facing up till 65 lbs.

darby24
07-27-2004, 01:52 AM
My sister moved her 4 month old baby from his Snugride to his Britax Marathon at the beginning of June. He was 2 1/2 months old and outgrew the seat length wise first but now is over the 20lbs anyway.

If I remember correctly he was just below the first slot on the Marathon when we put him in, he's now even with it. The seat fits him just fine, very happy. It also fits her car, a dodge caravan very solid.

My sister and bil are happy with the seat, they do have a Marathon for their 2 year old as well. My bil was the most happy with the new seat, he hated the Snugride. And that's putting it lightly!

A Marathon, perhaps a Britax Roundabout or even a Evenflo Triumph are great choices. And try this for car info http://www.carseatdata.org/

amp
07-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Our DS outgrew his Snugride at just over 3 mths. He hit the weight limit and the height limit around the same time. We moved him to a Britax Marathon. We also have a Evenflo Triumph for DH's car, which doesn't get used quite as often as the MA.

Momof3Labs
07-27-2004, 11:05 AM
Colin outgrew his infant seat at 3 months old, and we moved him to a Marathon in DH's car and a Roundabout in my car. Both work very well for an infant, and continue to work well for a toddler! Though I would skip the Roundabout next time - Colin is very tall and will outgrow it before he's ready for a booster.

Joolsplus2
07-27-2004, 12:05 PM
D'oh! Sorry, sometimes I forget that everyone doesn't know which seats are convertibles <whip self with wet noodle> ;)
Anyway, you got some good advice: Marathon, Wizard, Roundabout, Triumph, are all great seats for your age child...they last till over a year rearfacing (the longer you rearface, the safer your baby is from head/spinal injury in a crash), and then up to 40 or 65 pounds forward facing, depending on the seat. www.britaxusa.com has more info on their seats, and www.evenflo.com has more on the Triumph (Their other seats are harder to use and less well padded, unfortunately)
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Judegirl
08-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Thanks everyone...we bit the bullet and bought a Marathon today. I'm grateful to you guys for sparing me more research. :)

It looks so grown-up for such a young baby! But it's verrrry soft, at least.

Jude