PDA

View Full Version : flying with a 2 year old

sunflowerseeds
07-27-2004, 06:29 PM
My husband and I are going to travel for the first time with our 2 year old [well, she'll be 2 years old the day after her first flight]. She is a little over 30 lbs and I'm not sure how tall but she ahs always been in the 95% range. Anyways...I am all set to take her Britax on board the flight but when my husband was booking the flight, he said that the person said that we didn't need to bring a carseat for our 2 year old. IS THIS TRUE? Could I still bring it and use it? Will they tell me "no" and then I'll have to gate check it? What exactly are the rules for air travel/toddlers and car seats?

Thanks in advance!

Momof3Labs
07-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Car seats aren't required for any children - even infants with purchased seats. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

That said, as long as you've purchased a seat (which you must do after her second birthday), you should be able to use your FAA approved car seat on board.

Andrea S
07-27-2004, 09:20 PM
I have recently flown with American, United and Southwest with Andrew and we have had no problems bringing our car seat on the plane.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

JElaineB
07-29-2004, 01:30 AM
I believe the FAA recommends the use of carseats on planes for children up to 40 lbs. After that they say it is safe to use the plane's seatbelt. DS will be 2 for a trip we are taking in October and we will be using a carseat then.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

stillplayswithbarbies
07-29-2004, 12:55 PM
I have found that the people who book the flights know very little about car seats and babies.

I usually have to explain to them why we need a window seat and to be sure and not book us in the row next to an exit row.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

tippy
07-31-2004, 10:10 PM
If you don't purchase a seat and there is an empty seat available you can use your car seat for your dd. (The airline I recently travelled required proof of age so check ahead with yours). However, if you don't purchase a seat and the flight is full you will have to gate check your car seat.