PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Honda Pilot and a Marathon: please help me with my issues

JMS
07-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Hi,
I just got a Honda Pilot and a Marathon. DD is only 5 1/2 months so it's RF. I had a tech help install the Marathon into my old car (a non-latch Accord) so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing). The Marathon is only about 2 weeks old so it wasn't in my Accord very long.

OK.. first I had it (for about a day) in the center of the backseat b/c that's the safest but then I realized that I was using one latch connector from each of the two outboard seats and that that is a big NO NO.. so I thought even though I have the tightest fit (oh, and I need a noddle to get it 45 degrees), I should switch to using a seatbelt install but then a friend told me today that you can't put a carseat in the center position b/c there is a fold down armrest there.
So, now the carseat is outboard behind the driver's seat. My seat can't be moved back as far as I would like (b/c of the size of the Marathon) but I didn't want to put it on the passenger's side b/c DH often sits there and is quite tall and I wouldn't want him cramped into the dashboard. The main issue I have (besides the fact that the carseat isn't as safe in a outboard position as it would be in the middle) is that the seat, although very tight, is slightly more steep then 45 degrees. Is this a problem??? DD has very good head control but I worry about her comfort, especially b/c we often got for hour+ drives and she always falls asleep. I hate to think her head will bobble forward while sleeping..

Does anyone have any advice? Sorry this is long.. I'm actually considering buying a Roundabout even though DD is almost 20lbs already. My justification is that I can put DD is the Roundabout until she turns around FF and then back into the Marathon where the front seats won't be an issue and by then I'll (**hopefully**) be preggo with #2 who can use the Roundabout RF after she/he outgrows the infant seat.

Again, sorry this is so, so long.. TIA!

Momof3Labs
07-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Check your owners manuals for the Pilot and the Marathon - as long as neither recommends against installation in front of a center armrest (and I bet that neither says that), you can install your seat in the center position. That was an old recommendation from one company that was backed by little or no data.

And 45 degrees is the maximum recline; more upright is actually safer though probably less comfy for your little one.

ktattar
07-30-2004, 07:01 PM
We installed a RF Marathon in the center of the backseat in our Honda Pilot. You are right that there is no LATCH for the center so we used a seatbelt install.

We had a carseat technician do the installation and there was no concern about the fold-down armrest.

JMS
07-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi Ktattar,
Can I ask you if you have to use a noodle to get the seat at 45 degrees (and/or to help with getting the tightest fit) when installing in the middle of the backseat of your Pilot?

Thanks again!

Lydias Mom
08-04-2004, 12:36 AM
We just put our marathon in the center of our Pilot rear facing using the latch. We were told that was okay. We also then used the strap and hooked it down below the seat to tighten it that way.
Trust me, that baby is solid as a rock in there and won't budge. I know of plenty of other ppl that have put it in the center as well this way.

UlrikeDG
08-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi. I have a Honda Pilot, two Britax Marathons and one Britax Roundabout. I'm also a Child Passenger Safety Technician.

The problem with installing the Marathon in the center position using LATCH is that HONDA does not permit it. It is acceptible in SOME vehicles, just not ones made by Honda.

The Marathon is soooo easy to install in the center position of the Pilot with the seatbelt that you may as well just follow the instructions.

nicurn96
08-07-2004, 11:59 PM
I have a Pilot and a Wizard. Right now it is in an outboard postition but I am considering moving it to the center. My question is if the carseat is in the center are you still able to fold the seat forward to get in the third row?

Thanks

Lisa
Mommy to Lydia~5/13/2003