PDA

View Full Version : Mirror for rear-facing carseat: Is it safe?

hellosmiletoday
07-30-2004, 01:51 AM
And if so, which one?

Joyce6830
07-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Mirrors are not really recommended. In a crash they could come loose and become a projectile. General rule is not to have anything in the car around the baby or any baby toys that you would not throw at your baby. I know that sounds harsh but it just means keep they toys all soft, no hard plastic on them anywhere. Of course, you are the parent and the decision is up to you.

Joyce, CPST

momma_boo
08-02-2004, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure how many different kinds of car seat mirrors are out there, but I got one that I feel comfortable using. I'm not too sure who made it. I purchased it at Buy Buy Baby. But it actually tethers on to the headrest (meaning I wrap the strap around the headrest and buckle it). Honestly, since we put the mirror in the car about 8 mos ago, DH has stopped asking when we can turn her forward-facing (since he can see her now).

missym
08-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Ours also straps onto the headrest, and I hate being without it when we've taken it off for some reason. Ours is a Fisher Price one with a bright jungle print on the edges.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

murpheyblue
08-02-2004, 02:43 PM
We have the FP one as well. It has very soft padding all around it and the 'mirror' is very light as well. It's securely strapped to the headrest. DD likes sitting in her seat much better since we got the mirror.

yellowdogmom
08-02-2004, 04:24 PM
We also have a FP one - ours has faces that light up and play music by pushing a remote, which seemed a little cheesy at first, but it has been a God-send when DS gets cranky. Ours has a tether that attaches to the FF tether point behind the seat so I feel very secure that it isn't going anywhere (it also wraps around the headrest). The "mirror" itself isn't a glass mirror, it is a flexible plastic.

:) Kristin
Mom to Theo, born 1/12/2004
and Morgan the yellow lab

KrisM
08-04-2004, 02:22 PM
I debated whether to get one or not, for safety reasons. Yesterday, I bought one that attaches to the Tether point from the LATCH system. That made me feel much better about it not somehow coming loose and hitting the baby in the face.

Kris

puppymom
08-05-2004, 01:19 AM
oooh, I'm jealous!

We got a very plain one from BRU with blue plaid trim. Like these others, it straps around the headrest and secures with a clip and is lightweight plastic. I like knowing when my DS has fallen asleep, hate to think it might be a hazard!