PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Car seat and Chevy S10 4dr. crew cab

cmferrara
08-04-2004, 02:49 PM
My husband is considering buying a S10 crew cab (with full size back seat) specifically so he can have a truck he can fit our son in. My question is does anyone have and S10 and what kind of car seats are you using?
thanks..

rottiemom
08-04-2004, 03:35 PM
We have an S10 extended cab (with the 3rd door) and our Graco Snugride fits in the center of the extended part. The seat fits fine but the driver's seat in the truck must remain too far forward for my husband to stretch out comfortably. As a result we always use my car (Honda CRV) for baby transport.

A crew cab will be a different story. I didn't know that Chevy offered an S10 crew cab. The Toyota Tacoma crew cab also seems to have tons of room for a car seat in the back. As does the Dodge.

And I can definitely see where the bed would come in handy for hauling all of the baby acoutrements :).

Good luck,

Nina

cmferrara
08-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks!
The main reason we are considering a new truck is because we needed to switch our son (now 7 months) to a larger convertible seat he is now 7 months 27 1/2 inches and much to big for his Evenflo portabout which Dad could fit in his truck. My husband can not find anything to fit in his Dodge Dakota (extended cab). I have the Britax Marathon in my Xterra which is what he is using most of the time but we are definately needing to find something truck and carseat compatible for Dad.

BTW - chevy I believe only made the S10 crew cab in 2003 and 2004 model years.

This is the truck my husband is considering:
http://www.new-cars.com/2003/2003-chevrolet-s10-4wd.html
he is purchasing it off of his father who has only had it a short time and doesn't have a use for it.

rottiemom
08-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Love those trucks but the bed is too small for our needs (motorcycle hauling). One thing that you should definitely do is bring that Marathon along with you when you go truck shopping & see how easily it fits & with how much room. It looks like the crew cabs have full sized seats & fitting a "full sized" carseat in shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried putting the Marathon in your FIL's truck yet?

I know that our S10 has a switch to disable the passenger side airbag so if you wanted to you could put a car seat in the front passeger seat but I doubt that too many people want to do that. Still it's worked for us in a pinch. Since I do most of the baby hauling it's necessary for me to be driving the car seat friendly vehicle. It sounds like your husband does a fair share of the baby transport so I'd be curious to know how the crew cab works out.

Keep us posted!

Nina