PDA

View Full Version : Car seat for grandma's house

lazydaisy8
08-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Can anyone give me a suggestion on a convertible car seat that is safe but fairly inexpensive? My husband and I live in Atlanta and both our families are in Ohio. We are looking for a rear-facing car seat to purchase and leave in Ohio so that we do not have to fly ours up there each time we visit (2-3 times/yr). It also needs to fit in a Ford Focus or Toyota Camry.

JElaineB
08-06-2004, 10:50 AM
We have a Cosco Touriva from Walmart a a secondary seat in DH's car. We have it forward facing, but it is a convertible seat that can be used rear-facing as well. For the price we are very happy with it. I don't know how well it would fit in the particular cars you mention, but it is a fairly small, lightweight seat. I will be using it on a plane trip next week.

5 pt. Cosco Touriva at Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=91365&dept=5427&product_id=2233776&path=0%3A5427%3A91365%3A91368

Target has the same seat, the Cosco Regal Ride, with a different cover. I have looked at both and I like the Touriva better because the seat cover fits around the entire shell, whereas some of the plastic shell is exposed with the Regal Ride.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

nupe
08-09-2004, 01:58 PM
We have the Cosco Regal Ride for the grandparents' car. We tried to find the Touriva, but it was out of stock at several Walmarts. Had to try 3 Targets before we found a Regal Ride in stock--could not find the 5pt one though. In any case, it fits fine in a Toyota Camry. We have used it rear-facing thus far. It was large for DS at 1 month and also 2 months. The snuzzler helped out a bit, but he still needed someone to help hold him in the seat at one month.

JElaineB
08-09-2004, 02:08 PM
>>Had to try 3 Targets before we found a Regal Ride in stock--could not find the 5pt one though.

If you have the overhead shield version of the Regal Ride (rather than the version with the 5 point harness) you really should try to find another seat within your budget that has a 5 point harness. Overhead shield car seats are considered much less safe, especially for infants. I really don't know whey they are still allowed to sell them, but they do.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02