PDA

View Full Version : questions about checking a car seat when flying

LucyG
08-06-2004, 07:31 AM
If we check our MA on a nonstop, domestic flight, does it need to be in any type of bag or protective cover? I know that luggage sometimes can sit on the rainy runway for a while, and I'd rather not have a damp car seat on arrival. If I do need a cover, will the airlines provide a plastic one, or should I purchase something ahead of time? If so, what's good to use?

Also, how careful are they with checked car seats? I've seen them really toss the luggage around, so should I assume they will do the same with my MA?

Thanks!

debsten
08-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I have flown quite a lot and the airlines don't usually provide anything to put your seat in. I have never checked a car seat with general luggage either as like you said I don't believe they really take any care with them and I have also had luggage lost so many times that I don't want to risk getting to the other end without a seat. I always just gate check my car seat or take it on the plane to put my dd in, I have never had any problems with either of these options, the best being to take the seat on the plane and use it in the seat.

If you do have to luggage check it I would definately purchase a good bag of some sort to protect it as much as possible.

Hope that helps.

Debbie

Momof3Labs
08-06-2004, 02:53 PM
You can get thick, large plastic bags at the check-in counter of most airlines. But I also hate the idea that the car seat might not make it to my destination, so we always bring ours to use on board (we buy Colin a seat, but even if we didn't, we'd bring the seat to the gate).

LucyG
08-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Hmmm. I didn't realize the car seat could be gate-checked. Thanks for that bit of information!

tippy
08-07-2004, 11:11 PM
I recently flew to Orlando with DS. It was just the two of us and in order to handle him, my stroller, and bags I purchased a cover for my seat that had straps on the back. If I had to check my car seat I feel confidant that this bag would have protected it. The material was very heavy duty and it was big enough to fit a Marathon. (Yes, I carried a Marathon Convertable Seat on my back through Kennedy Airport!) It was actually pretty comfortable for the short haul. In case you or anyone else is interested, here is a link to one site that carries it although I've seen varied prices on line and you might be able to shop around a bit for the best price. I bought mine at Buy-Buy Baby just cause I was running out of time before my trip.

http://carseats.babycatalog.com/car-seat-accessories/ultimate-car-seat-booster-tote-02100

kijip
08-08-2004, 03:37 AM
I just flew round trip across the country with Toby as a lap baby and I gate checked his stroller and his RA. For getting through the airport I took the napper bar off my Zooper Sport, partially reclined the seat and the RA fit snugly on top. Popped Toby into the RA, hung the diaper bag on the handle and I had nothing to carry at all. Bizarre travel system, yes! We did not use plastic bags when we gate checked- we just handed them over and things went OK. Fair warning: things can get broken when gate checked and they often get a bit dirty.

nupe
08-09-2004, 01:53 PM
I've only gate-checked a car seat once so far (on NWA). I had one cnx. I gate-checked the seat for retrieval at my FINAL destination. It was fine. I didn't know I could gate check and not have to pick up the seat at the cnx airport.