PDA

View Full Version : Expiration Date On Car Seats?

remcd88
08-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Hello!

I had this on my last post but it seemed to be too many questions so I decided to split it up into separate posts.

I have a Roundabout that my sister gave me that was manufactured in '99. We've been using it with my 3yr old since she grew out of her infant carrier. I thought I had read somewhere that there was an experation date on seats. Is this true? If so why?

What would be a good replacement for her if I chose to replace the roundabout? She's small for her age, weighing just under 30 lbs and probably around 36 inches (but not sure). I need it to be narrow to fit three seats. I have a PP infant carrier and a Komfort Kroozer already.

Thanks,

Rebecca,

Gabrielle 8/99
Hillary 5/01
New Baby by 9/04

Joolsplus2
08-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi again :)
Here's what Britax says about their expiration dates:
Q. How long can my seat be used?
A. We recommend that the use of a restraint be discontinued if older than six years of age or has been in a severe crash. After six years, technology has changed, components degrade from the environment depending on how and where they are stored, parts get lost or installed incorrectly, instructions and labels may not be available to read. The restraint may be unsafe and should be thrown away.
So you do have some time left to go, if it's a '99 seat. As for what to replace it with, with three-across, you'll have a bit of a challenge. You can either go with "narrow" and get the Graco Ultra/Platinum Cargo, or you can go with "puzzle-fit" and get a Marathon or Wizard. I say puzzle fit, because these seats are a little wider at their widest, but are up on teeny narrow bases (narrower than your current MA by several inches)and sometimes can fit an infant seat UNDER them...also they are easier to buckle a booster next to.
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

remcd88
08-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi!

What do you mean by the restraint being unsafe? Also, what does MA mean?

Thanks,

Rebecca :)

Joolsplus2
08-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Ooooops, I said "MA" for "Marathon", when I meant to put "RA" for your current "Roundabout", sorry!

I don't know exactly what they mean by saying the restraint may be unsafe...Probably that it could fail in a crash in some way or not meet current safety standards (some seats made in 99 didn't even have top tethers, for instance).

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx