PDA

View Full Version : Installing used car seat without directions

downwarddog
08-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Hi,
A friend of mine just gave me her old Century SmartFit Plus infant car seat with 2 bases (have never been in an accident).

I tried to install it in my Honda Civic sedan yesterday & got a tight fit in the middle w/the seatbelt, but it was only tight forward/backward. The side motion towards the edge of the seat moved left and right like crazy. Is this correct? It doesn't seem like there's any way to anchor the part of the base/seat that's at the seat edge in any way.

I have registered for a Snugride, but thought we might be able to save the $40 for an extra base by using the SmartFit in our secondary car (Nissan Pathfinder SUV) & the Snugride in the Honda. Perhaps this is not wise?

Please help:-)
Thanks,
Lenore
Due in Sept in NH

Joolsplus2
08-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Try contacting www.gracobaby.com and see if you can get a manual from them for the seat (Graco bought Century). Make sure the seat is not past it's 6 year expiration date, too.
When you install the base, you need it to be tight only where the seatbelt goes through it ("at the beltpath" that's called). If it's not moving at the beltpath, then it's installed correctly. Some movement toward the front is relatively normal.
I think you might want to see a tech in real life, to help you learn how to install and use your seat(s) safely...so hopefully this link will help you find one: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/whatis/regions/index.cfm?fitting=yes

In the end, if you get the Snugride and are concerned the Smartfit just doesn't work as well, then by all means don't use it...and even destroy it, so no one else picks it out of the trash and uses it incorrectly, either. But if it does work for you, then it's a fine seat, and much taller than the snugride, so it might last you a few months longer in the long run.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

downwarddog
08-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Julie, that was great info!

Yes, the fit is very tight at the belt path. It just seemed odd that the seat at the edge would move so much (I'm thinking side crashes). I will try & install it in the Nissan & see how it works.

Their daughter is only 4 now & I know they bought it new, so it should still be under 6 years.

I'll check out the manual, thanks for the website:-) Also, I do plan on getting it officially checked. I contacted one of the 2 contacts in my area, but she's on maternity leave herself:-)

Thanks again,

~Lenore
Due in Sept in NH

Momof3Labs
08-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Look for the manufacture date on a sticker on the car seat - if at least 6 years has passed (or will have passed while you are using the seat), the seat has expired. Since their baby is already 4 years old, I'd be sure to check that before trying to get a manual.

downwarddog
08-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks!
I checked & it is 5 years old. So, as long as it fits well, I think I'll use it as my 2nd seat.
My DH wants to know WHY they expire, if anyone happens to know?

~Lenore
Due in Sept in NH

Joolsplus2
08-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Seats expire because safety standards change, parts and manuals may be missing and even irreplaceable (as your long lost manual can attest to!), there may be recalls, the labels fall off, and the component parts may have weakened with the extreme heat and cold the insides of cars undergo. The JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association..you'll see their sticker on any big baby stuff you buy) suggest a maximum age of 10 years for carseats, so there may be SOME leeway in using it longer than 6 years, but I wouldn't put my own child in a seat past 6 years old (unless it is specifically labeled for longer use, like a Fisher Price, which are no longer made, but are good for 8 years, or a Cosco Alpha Omega or Nania seat, they are good for 7 years).

Hope that helps a little :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx