PDA

View Full Version : Help! Which infant car seat to use?

lgalop
08-10-2004, 02:20 PM
I am a first time mom-to-be and I have narrowed my car seat selection down to three. But there are issues with all three that worry me. I am hoping that those of you who currently own any of these seats will be able to help me out. I am trying to decide between the Graco Snug Ride, Baby Trend Adjustable Back and the Combi Tyro. The Graco seems like a solid choice however, I keep reading that parents have to move to a convertible seat at 4 months, or 6 months, so I am really trying to purchase a seat that will hold the infant up to the larger height/weight requirements. Also, the Graco seems to be a bit unsafe when placed in the BRU shopping cart. The Baby Trend is wonderful for the larger height/weight requirements, however this seat is very narrow, so I wonder if it really matters. I am afraid that by 6 months old, my child will be unable to move in this one. The Combi Tyro seems to have good reviews, but I cannot find it at the local stores, so I don't know how big it is, or how it fits into the shopping carts, or if parents who have bought them are glad they did. If anyone has any advice or suggestions for me, I greatly appreciate it!!!!

vdrake71
08-10-2004, 02:30 PM
We bought the Graco Snug Ride and were very pleased with it. We used it with my DS for 6 months and then advanced to the Wizard. We bought the Snug Ride with the warm boot and canopy, which we never used. My sister-in-law also has a Snug Ride and she is still using it with her DS at 7 months. You just never know when your baby will outgrow it.

Momof3Labs
08-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Colin hated his infant car seat long before he outgrew it. He much preferred the elevated position of his convertible seat. So you could buy a seat that would hold your baby for the better part of a year but might not even use it that long - a screaming baby in the car is no fun...

Maelew
08-12-2004, 03:11 PM
We had a snug-ride and loved it (with a universal car seat carrier as a stroller). We just switched an evenflow at 6 months - he was still comfy in his snugride, but he is a big boy in both height and weight, and outgrew it. My girlfriend had her daughter in the snugride until she was probably 7 months or so. It just depends on how the baby grows.