PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone familiar with the Cosco High Back Booster from Target?

czollmann
08-10-2004, 06:01 PM
I was at Super Target today and they have this booster on clearance for 30% off, so it comes to $34. and some change.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=cm_reviews_dp_seemore/601-1655569-5972959?asin=B00009EF0C&alt%5fview=custReviews&coliid=

I was wondering if any one has any experience with this seat if if they have any feedback, good or bad. I am interested in it for a second car seat in my DH car for my 2 1/2 year old DS. And, then possibly as his primary car seat when he out grows his Britax RA.

Thanks in advance!
Carol
mom to
Ben (2/02) & Jack (3/04)

Joolsplus2
08-10-2004, 06:15 PM
The problem with this seat is, the harness slots are a little lower than the ones on your RA...he would actually outgrow this seat, by height, sooner! Also, the back is rather short, so it would last not very long as a booster seat.
It's a bargain, if you are on a super-tight budget, and it does have a front harness adjuster. Since you can hand it down to the baby later, you may get more use out of it as a spare harnessed seat later.
But if you want something with a little more staying power, and have a few bucks more to spend, the Graco Ultra Cargo (or Platinum, but not the Treasured, it has no front adjuster) or Evenflo Chase would be better choices, as they have taller backs and taller top harness slots (like 17 inches)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

czollmann
08-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Julie,

Thanks for your response, it is very helpful! Last month I had bought the graco turbo booster that was on sale on line at target. This one http://www.target.com/gp/product/B00008UA28/601-1655569-5972959?%5Fencoding=UTF8 but I am now questioning it because it does not have a harness and have read that he should be 3 before going into a booster. Is that correct? I thought this cosco one could be a good option until he is three. My biggest concern is if it is a safe or well rated seat.

As far as the harness slots, he is currently in the middle on on the RA. When in the middle slot it is just above, or right at his shoulders. So, he might be ok with the lower harness slots, at least until he would be old enough for the seatbelt option?

I will also take a look at those other seat options.

What is your opinion on the turbo booster... should I return that one at least? I am not really sure why I bought it. I think it seemed like a bargain and I went for it. I must have just been itching to buy something that day!

Carol
mom to
Ben (2/02) & Jack (3/04)

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Oops, missed this...
Well, three is just such a bare, bare minimum for boostering...I so much prefer to see kids harnessed till at least age 4, preferably up to or through kindergarten, both because the rate of serious injury is 77 per 1000 for boostered kids, and only 17 per 1000 for harnessed kids, and because younger kids just have such a hard time staying properly in their seatbelts. Even my almost 5 year old gives me headaches when she gets to ride in a booster...just leaning out of position, or falling asleep and falling out of her shoulder belt.. She's 36 pounds now, and I'll keep her harnessed in our main car till she's 40, without question.
The Turbo is a great seat, but really it's best for an older child who has outgrown a 40 pound harness, IMO.

:)

czollmann
08-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Julie,

Thanks so much for responding again! As of last night, I had decided to return that turbo booster for the same reasons you mentioned. I just don't feel that Ben will be ready for it any time soon. I did pick up the cosco high back booster and will use that harnessed in my DH truck, which is a rare ride. Then when Ben outgrows the RA I will look for a good seat with harness for his main ride.

My husband currently has a RA in his truck but we will be transitioning that soon for Jack's full time seat. I guess now I have to think of a good part time seat for Jack in DH truck!

Carol
mom to
Ben (2/02) & Jack (3/04)

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Oh good, well I hope it works for you :)
Have you seen the Cosco Touriva ("tourvia" at walmart.com)? It's only $38, and as far as spare convertibles go, it's simple to install and use (though you might need a rolled towel or pool noodle to get enough reline when rearfacing at first...it's not too big a deal to do that :) )

temple
08-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Julie & anyone who has experience with this carseat-

I was in Wal-Mart tonight and saw the Cosco Touriva and was considering buying it as a spare carseat, but wanted to check here first for some input. We have just transitioned our son into the Marathon as his primary seat, but need one as a spare for grandma, airline travel, and for a friend of mine who will be watching him in a little over a week. Is this a fairly safe carseat? Is is easy to adjust? Will it work in a 2-door cavalier? I'm a bit worried about the $39 price tag when our Marathon's were over $200 each.

Thanks in advance.

Temple

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 11:24 PM
I think most of us are satisified with our Tourivas. A few of us are used to our Wizards and utterly unimpressed, though, lol. I convinced a friend of mine to get one as a spare, and I got to use it for her baby for several months, and found it quite adequate and very straightforward to install and use correctly. Beweare the puzzle buckle...make sure everyone who might have to use it, understands how to use it...it's not hard, but if you aren't used to car seats in general, it looks really bizarre. It should work fine in a Cavalier, as it's not a bulky seat, though you may have to really cram your fingers down in there to get to the adjuster lever (certainly no worse than a comfortsport would be.....).
:)

temple
08-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the information. For the price it seemed to good to be true, but as a spare it seems like it will work!!

One other question...Will it fit in the center of the back seat or will it need to sit behind the passenger seat (the Cavalier only has 2 doors which seems like it could be difficult if not positioned in the middle)?

Oh, another question...Does it need to be tethered?

Temple

Joolsplus2
08-13-2004, 12:07 PM
I don't know offhand if it will fit better center or outboard. www.carseatdata.org *might* have an entry...fingers crossed it works!

It can't be tethered rearfacing, and doesn't HAVE to be tethered forward facing, but if you tell me the year of your car, I might have the part listed in the tether/LATCH manual so you might be able to have the tether installed when you finally DO go forward facing.

temple
08-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks again for all the info. I think I am going to buy it and them figure out where it fits best in the car. Hopefully my son will like it after being used to his Marathon.

It's so nice to have people that know what they are talking about to ask these questions.

Temple