PDA

View Full Version : Roundabout install in BMW 318i question

jtamm
08-11-2004, 12:55 PM
I just installed a RA in my 1992 BMW 318i rear facing in the center using the lap belt and the tether anchor.

My question is, are both lockouts supposed to be used? I think the directions said to only use the lockout on the opposite side of the lap belt buckle... and I just wanted to be sure.

I got the tether attached under the seat slider bar using the extra loop. I had to slide the seat all the way forward to get to it and looped the fabric under the very back end of the slider bar of the passenger seat inside rail. The seat doesn't go all the way back due to the fabric loop, but the carseat is now very firmly attached!

Thanks to all of you for your information on this board, it has been very, very helpful!

-Julia

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Sorry this got missed yesterday!
Yup, just one lockoff is fine. It's adding an element of "precrash" stability to your seat, but it is the "latchplate" on the seatbelt that's going to do ALL the work in a crash, so it's not necessary to lock both lockoffs. If it's in good and tight, you are just fine :)

Can I just add a note? It's going to be hard/expensive/impossible to get top tethers added to that car, so the longer you can keep your baby rearfacing, the better off you are. Seats installed well forward facing are safe and legal to use without tethers, but tethering adds an extra element of protection against head and neck injury, so the longer you can keep the seat RF, the longer the baby can develop and be able to tolerate FF crash forces. Of course I'm all for extended rearfacing in any case, but in car where there are no top tether anchors, it's just more important in general, IMO.

Anyway, glad you got your seat in tight! :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jtamm
08-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Julie -

Thanks for your reply with information!

When I had the Graco Snugride inspected by the car seat fitters, they warned me about the same thing... I love this car, but I know it has a limited life in terms of car seat safety... (We are eyeing the Volvo V70 station wagon as our next car ....)

Fortunately our daughter is light (so far - 14 lb. 3oz. at 6 months), so hopefully we can keep her rear faced for awhile... I do feel better using that tether anchor with the seat!

Also - just a note to others - the roundabout has plenty of room in the back seat and I think also has a better view out back for the driver as compared to the Snugride.

-Julia