PDA

View Full Version : How do you become a CPS Tech?

kijip
08-12-2004, 03:29 AM
Any tips or advice on where to go for training? Length of course, fees for certification? Just curious! Thanks in advance!

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Your first stop is www.cpsboard.org They have a list of upcoming classes through Safe Kids, and if the class list isn't complete, then there should be a contact or 2 in your area that you can call or email and they should be able to help you more.
From what I've seen most classes are free or very low-cost, but might be a couple hours from where you live. Generally the classes are designed for fire fighters and cops who do this as part of their jobs, and there's only one of us moms doing it for fun (and we generally know the most, too, lol).
It takes 32 hours, and working a seat-check, to get certified, sometimes that's all week, but my class was spread over 2 weekends.

You should do it! I haven't gotten as involved in real life as much I've liked to yet, but I do love working online, and the title after my name is kind of cool ;)

The ParentsPlace carseat board is a breeding ground for techs, we've seen dozens of folks get certified, and there may even be someone near you... http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppcarseats/?redirCnt=1

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

strollerfreak
08-12-2004, 01:51 PM
<sticking my head in here and raising my hand>

I'd be one of those techs that comes via the breeding ground on the ParentsPlace board...LOL

I volunteered with my local chapter of SafeKids as a scribe to see if I really did want to go through with the class training, and I loved it.

Then found out that "local" classes for me weren't sponsored so I would have to pay the out of pocket class fee to get in the class...which for a SAHM $200 to be a volunteer was kind of a sticking point.

My hubby got transferred temporarily to Kansas City, MO in March, and on a whim I checked the class list to see if there were any classes out here, and low and behold there was a sponsored class offered in July. So I signed up, and I'm now a certified tech!!

I was (like Julie said) the only full time mom in the class, and was the most knowledgeable to begin with, but still walked away from the class learning more than what I had already picked up from the PP board and working at checks.

I'd honestly consider volunteering at a check or two first to see if it's something that you REALLY want to get into...it's difficult to see misuse out there and have no way to "fix" it because most people just aren't open to the idea that they are doing something "wrong".

Good Luck!!!

kijip
08-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks! I went to the cpsboard and called about registering for a class in my area. Looks like I will be all set for October, 2 weekends. I decided to dive right in. I am going to volunteer before then if I can. Once I am certified, if I like it, I will volunteer to do inspections for local parenting groups periodically. It will be a great learning experience.

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Wow, that was quick, good for you!
My fingers are crossed that everything works out and you get to take the class and you like being a tech, too.

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Play Pen
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
That is great WE need more techs out there helping others. The course was a solid week. Renewals are now every 2 years. It is good to attend a course once a year to keep refreshed on the new stuff. Good luck.