PDA

View Full Version : Am I Crazy to get a new infant seat now? But she's a peanut!

nbrackman
08-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Hi all you carseat gurus out there...

My dd is a year old. She's 17.5 lbs. and maybe 28 inches or so. She still barely fits in my Century Smart Fit Elite (22 lb. weight limit and 29" height limit) with a tiny bit over an inch of head clearance to the topof the shell.

She still loves to sleep in the car. I have had her in a Marathon for sometime, but took it out to wash the cover and re-installed the infant seat as a stopgap. But she actually sleeps and seems more comfy in the infant seat and it's so nice to be able to take her out still sleeping (she doesn't transfer well when asleep from the marathon to the sling or stroller).

She's a slow gainer. But relatively tall. Is there an infant seat out there with a higher height limit/weight limit? Is this acrazy thing to even contemplate buying now at a year old? She's probably going to be able to be in one for quite some time theoretically but maybe it's a waste?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Nicole

kijip
08-12-2004, 10:06 PM
The Britax Companion goes to 30 inches in length. Still not that much growing room. I would not make the investment for such a short use but then I hated lugging the infant seat (too awkward to carry around) so consider the source! If you are having another baby later it might be worth it. She could add those 2 inches really fast. Why not just use the Century until she outgrows it?

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 10:08 PM
If you can find a Fisher Price Safe Embrace - INFANT seat that someone wants to send you cheap, she might fit in that still. Otherwise, the Britax Companion would fit her awhile, it's to 22 pounds and 30 inches (and if you pay $199 for it, you CAN wear the label *crazy*, lol!)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Oh, sure, the voice of reason, you are, lol. Yeah, I agree, if baby #2 is a twinkle in the eye, a companion isn't quite so crazy :)

nbrackman
08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Yah, that's basically what I thought. I don't actually lug it around much and retired the snap n' go a while ago. But those few times when we come home and she's sound asleep in the car, it's so nice...

now, if she's got an inch plus a hair when put in but then slumps a little and has more room above her head after a minute or so, how do i know when I should take her out?! Seems like a stupid question, but she never "sits up straight" in it so to speak.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
08-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I think I'd be more inclined to go with her "slumped" height, since that's how she'd be positioned in the event of a crash. I know what you mean about how much they slump! Bitsy used to sink down at least an inch in her MA (and even FF she still does...sometimes she's got scads of room before the top slots, sometimes I think we'll have to retire it in a scant few months....)