PDA

View Full Version : Marathon -- Best Prices, Where to get newest one with recall fixed?

jbrandy
08-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Hello all,
I would like to buy a marathon for our second car seat. I am concerned about the recall and would like to buy one that already has the recall parts installed if possible. Does anyone know where I can find one online or how I would know (online) if the seat has had the recall fix? Also, anyone noticed any really great prices or have any coupon codes where I could purchase a marathon? Locally we can only find them at ToysRus and they don't have the seat cover I want. Thanks for any information you can provide!

Beth

iriebride
08-17-2004, 04:02 AM
I'm bumping this up b/c I also want to know if it's possible to buy a brand new Marathon with the recall parts already installed. It makes me nervous now too. Maybe I should just get the RA instead?

Joyce

rottiemom
08-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Yesterday I peeked at babyage.com & they have a bunch of Marathons in stock & are touting them as brand new, non recalled items.
HOWEVER- their price on Marathons has now gone from 219.99 to 239.99. Excuse me? Did I miss something? A 20$ price jump? I was waiting for babyage to run another 10% off sale but there's no point at that price. babyuniverse.com still has them for 229.99 but I don't know if they're the brand new & improved or not.

Nina

MOSh513
08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I know nothing about this company, but I found a price of $214.99 including shipping at
www.travelingtikes.com
They also have some of the new fabrics listed

eb1
08-17-2004, 08:20 PM
I bought a Marathon recently from www.babysupermarket.com for $199 with no shipping. However, I just checked the site and don't see any Marathons listed, so maybe they've pulled stock and are waiting for fixed versions? Also, that price was a special, but maybe it will be offered again when they restock...could be worth an email to the site.

I think it's standard for companies to pull items when there's a recall (someone correct me if I'm wrong); to rephrase this, I don't think stores are supposed to continue selling recalled items. So as long as you buy from a legitimate business, I wouldn't worry, but all you have to do is email the site's customer service to doublecheck.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about getting a model that hasn't been corrected yet. It's a simple matter of changing out one strap and Britax is sending these out at the end of August.

kjack145
08-17-2004, 09:09 PM
I have the Wizard model with the loosening problem. When I called Babies R Us to see if they had the "fixed" model, they said they did but can't sell it until Britax authorizes them.

The gentleman suggested I buy the non-recalled model if I didn't want to wait for the fix kit. Well, the recall notice says to stop using the seat if you experience the problem!

Britax said the kit should arrive by the end of September which is much too long to wait.

I may have to go with a smaller seat, and I know my daughter won't go back to tolerating the headrest on the Wizard once she gets used to the other seat.

Sigh.

mom2kandj
08-18-2004, 04:15 AM
I just ordered a Marathon in Faux Paws with a post recall manufacture date(Aug 04)from Traveling Tikes. I bit the bullet and paid sales tax(both TT and I are in CA)because they could get me my seat via UPS by Friday since we are less than 60 miles apart. (I would have paid more in gas & time!)

FWIW, they did not have Handful (a new pattern)for immediate delivery and would not have those ready for shipment until Aug 23.

All in all, I paid $232 with free shipping and CA sales tax! That's not the best, but I wanted it for a road trip on Sunday in a new car that our current seat doesn't fit well. Now, DS will be traveling in style in his new Marathon with the matching Volvo XC90! :P HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

rottiemom
08-18-2004, 12:00 PM
arunningstroller.com has some Marathon patterns for 210$! Sadly not the one that I'm looking for. If I'm plunking down that kind of money on a car seat I'm darned sure getting my beloved Arctic Cat! :)

Nina

Play Pen
08-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Marathons manfactered August2004 arrived today

loritb
08-18-2004, 01:03 PM
There is an ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/The-Top-Shelf that has Marathons in all patterns (inlcuding the new ones) for $185, plus $29.99 shipping. They say they have all been retrofitted for the recal and it takes 3-6 weeks to get them, but the price is good. I haven't ordered yet, but I'm thinking about it - anyone ever used this store. They also have Roundabouts for $145 + $29.99 shipping.

leighton
08-18-2004, 04:45 PM
Find the coupon code that babysupermarket was having and Marathons are 199.99. They have free shipping over $200.00 purchase.

rottiemom
08-19-2004, 12:41 PM
code B274 no longer works at babysupermarket. The marathons are 228.99 (bleah). If I could find one for 199$ I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

mutter mutter if I'd just bought it at babyage during the 4th of july sale I'd be done with this already mutter...

Nina

shp
08-19-2004, 12:45 PM
May I ask you where to find the coupon code? My DD is growing out of her infant car seat any time soon. I'd like to get a good deal in time if possible. Thanks a lot in advance.

>Find the coupon code that babysupermarket was having and
>Marathons are 199.99. They have free shipping over $200.00
>purchase.

Shu-Hua
Mom to Jacqueline, 3/20/04

rottiemom
08-19-2004, 01:21 PM
see my post above. Unfortunately the most recent code for babysupermarket that I can find: B274 is no longer valid. The best price that I've been able to find on the marathon at this point is 210$ for 4 select patterns at arunningstroller.com. Unfortunately I have my heart set on one particular pattern (I know, I know, give up already). If I don't see any jaw dropping deals soon it'll actually be cheaper for me to go to my local BRU at this point. Either way I need to get a new seat within the next 2 weeks.

Good luck! Let us know if you find any sales lurking around.

Nina

temt1219
08-19-2004, 02:24 PM
I just ordered a new one, in stock, from babyage.com for $220 in microdot tan. We're in Ohio so it will take about 2 days to get here. they have free shipping if you use the code "shipfree" either online or when you call. hth! (i called travelling tikes and they only had the "new blues" one in - they are getting more next wednesday, but baby age had the one i wanted in stock.) Of all the weeks for the airline to lose our carseat! ugh!

mom2kandj
08-19-2004, 03:17 PM
I ordered a Marathon in Faux Paws from Traveling Tikes on Tuesday afternoon and UPS dropped it off this morning(Thursday). I did my order over the phone as I wanted to them to catch UPS by the end of the business day. Granted, both TT and I are on the west coast, but I imagine that it would only add a few days to get to the east coast. They are selling new non-recalled Marathons with an Aug 04 manufacture date and gray label for $214.99 with free shipping. My seat was manufactured on 8/11/04. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

Play Pen
08-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Thank you for bring this to our attention. Since Marathons had all new stock numbers issued we forgot to change them in the system. All is fixed now.

rottiemom
08-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Babysupermarket.com, Britax Marathons are 199.99 with coupon code B274, free shipping with orders over 200$. THANK YOU Philip! I honestly thought that Britax was excluded from the coupon, it never occurred to me that there could have been a formatting problem.

I just ordered my Arctic Cat and am doing the happy dance :D.

Wow, I need a hobby!

Nina

iriebride
08-24-2004, 01:54 AM
I tried the code and it doesn't work for me. It still shows UPS Ground $20. Am I doing something wrong?

Joyce

DebHgn
08-24-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm assuming that the August seats are the same as the previous seats except that Britax makes the fix for us. Or are the August seats "new and improved"?

Play Pen
08-24-2004, 06:13 PM
It should be working fine. Code B274 puts it at 199.99.Free shipping is on orders over $250.00 Thank you

janettadine
08-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Philip, did you sell out of the Marathons? I tried to buy the Microdot Tan, and it said it was not available for online purchase (same for new blue).

Janet

xassist
08-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Whatever you do, do NOT buy from Albee Baby. They are a Yahoo merchant, and have the worst customer service in the history of all dot-coms.

When I tried to buy my Marathon from them, I got a call from them that they were being recalled, but that they would call me back with the estimated ship date. After waiting for 2 weeks, I tried to contact them, but kept getting a busy signal. I tried e-mailing them, but they kept promising to e-mail me back, but didn't, even after explaining to them that my poor 5-month old is growing out of her car seat! Then I discovered that they had ALREADY charged my credit card for an item that they hadn't even shipped!

Finally, they e-mailed me back to say that they could get it out to me, but that it would take a week. I asked them to ship it overnight for free for all the trouble I've been through, but they refused. I have never had such a bad experience ever, and I wish that all the parents out there who want a good experience to stay far, far away from them.

Am I nuts for being so upset over this? Does any one else have a bad dot com story to share?

rottiemom
08-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Hi AMorgan,

There's a whole forum here dedicated to just that thing- lousy internet vendors. You cal also do a search under albee baby to see if anyone else shares your pain.

So far I've been lucky...and I would be furious if I were in your shoes! Alert your CC company & contest the charge- you were charged for an expensive item that you didn't receive, Albee will have no proof of delivery & you should NOT be paying for it. Tell Albee to cancel your order, you are dissatisfied with their service and will not be shopping with them again.

That said, I ordered my Marathon from babysupermarket.com on Friday & according to UPS it was delivered today so it should be waiting for me when I get home. Babysupermarket let me know as soon as the seat shipped & provided me with the ups tracking number so I could track my pricey item all the way from MS to NY. I'll let you know what happens once I get home & get the box open. So far I'm loving Babysupermarket- they had the seat that I wanted for a great price (199$) and free shipping. AND one of their reps kept checking in on this board to let us know that the seats were in stock & to resolve a problem with the coupon code that lowered the price to 199$. Not to mention that they answered their emails promptly.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't jinxed myself!

Nina

Play Pen
08-26-2004, 03:24 PM
I only have one of each left. Call the store and ask for April.

xassist
08-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Hi, Nina.

Thanks for your most helpful advice. I am getting a refund for them, and will be leaving very negative feedback for them on their Yahoo Merchant Rating forum. I will also leave a mention on the lousy vendor site.

I will also check into the Babysupermarket site. Any business smart enough to check into these message boards is a smart one! Unfortunately, I can no longer wait for a car seat to be shipped to me, so I will be purchasing the Roundabout at my local Right Start tonight. Don't worry about jinxing yourself! They sound excellent.

Good luck with your seat, and every thing else! Thanks again for your helpful response.

Have a great day,

Anna:-)

psych
08-27-2004, 12:13 PM
>Whatever you do, do NOT buy from Albee Baby. They are a Yahoo
>merchant, and have the worst customer service in the history
>of all dot-coms.
>

Oh no! I was just thinking about placing an order with Albee Baby for many items (crib, mattress, stroller *AND* car seat)! Does anyone else have feedback on them?

GatorMom
08-27-2004, 02:14 PM
I had a great experience with Albee when I purchased my son's RA. I did not care for the seat cover on the first one I ordered (my fault), and they gladly exchanged it for me - no restocking fee, I didn't have to reimburse them for the shipping on the first seat, and they shipped the second at no cost. I only paid for the return shipping on the first seat, I believe.

I also found them to be pretty responsive to all my e-mails; I was really surprised to see the negative review. (And besides, I think Babyride.com has the worst cs EVER...)

HTH - Julie

Happy Mom
08-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Where do you find the coupon codes for babysupermarket? They have the best prices I have seen yet and I have to buy two seats (Happy Mom of twins) and my heart is set on the Marathon - so I need all the discounts I can get. Thanks.