PDA

View Full Version : Outboard vs. Middle, LATCH & Lap belt dilemma

rsamsuh
08-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Would like to gather some opinions on infant car seat installation...

We have two cars... the first car (my car) has 3-point seatbelts in the outboard backseat positions and only a lapbelt in the middle backseat position. Is it more important to have the carseat in the middle of the backseat, or is it more important to use a seatbelt with a shoulder harness to secure the carseat?

Our second car (my husband's car) has 3-point seatbelts in all three backseat positions, but has LATCH in only the outboard seat positions. Is it more important to have the carseat in the middle of the backseat, or is it more helpful to use LATCH but put the carseat in the outboard position?

Thanks

debsten
08-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I am no expert, but from what I have read at this and other boards I will give you my thoughts.

I have a lapbelt also in the middle seat of my car (no latch), I have always had my dd in the middle as this is the safest place in that it is furthest away from any impact points. The only time you can't use a lapbelt is if you are using a booster (without 5 point harness)so from what you said you won't need to worry about that for a while as you are installing an infant seat. Also some vehicles have armrests or fold down seats etc in the middle and don't allow a car seat to be installed in them so if this is the case with you, you might want to check with your cars owners manual or manufacturer. But in regards to the lap belt versus lap/shoulder it doesn't matter on a seat that has a 5 point harness. I actually always found it easier to use the lapbelt only because I could get it tighter and didn't need to use locking clips. So wherever you can get the best fit would be fine, if it is the center even better. Also make sure you check your car seat manual to see if there are any type of seat belts you can't use with the seat, ie a lap belt that is non-locking, I think these are only found in older vehicles.

In regards to your husbands car. The LATCH is not a total necessity, a lot of seats do install easier with it, some it doesn't matter. So it is really just your choice as to what works for you. If I could get just as good a fit in the center with the belt only I would use that, but then again if you can't get as good a fit as the LATCH it is better in the outboard.

Hope that helps

Debbie

Joolsplus2
08-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Debbie, great answer! I'm glad you're over here :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

rsamsuh
08-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Thank you for responding and I definitely appreciate and will use your advice. Haven't had time until now to check for responses, so sorry about the belated thanks.