PDA

View Full Version : coats and car seats?

emschwar
08-16-2004, 11:42 PM
I think I remember reading that you're not supposed to put kids in coats and then put them in the car seat. I know they make those bundle me things for the infant seats, but what about convertables? What should an infant that's too big for the snug ride do for warmth? Thanks!

Joyce6830
08-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Actually, the bundle me is NOT recommended either. To keep a child warm in a car seat there are several options. They can wear a light fleece jacket, but nothing heavier. I always warm up my car before I go out, put my kids in their coats and then take them off in the car to buckle them in their seats and if it's really cold I will turn the coat around and put it back on them backwards. They will throw them off once the car warms up completely. That's only when it's really cold. Usually I just bundle them in their fleece jackets, mittens and hats and buckle and go. Polar fleece can be very warm. My mother goes nuts though and tells me to put coats on my kids!

The bundle me is not recommended because you don't want anything between the child and the car seat. For an infant in a seat, it's really easy to buckle them in the seat in the house and then tuck as many blankets around them as you want. It's once they get older that it gets tricky. Bulky coats can make the straps on the seat too far away from your child. The coat will compress in a crash.

Joyce, CPST

DebbieJ
08-17-2004, 12:57 AM
I just bought a fleece bunting from Land's End based on the advice of a few on this board.

Get one now--there's a few left in Overstocks from last year.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

emschwar
08-17-2004, 08:33 AM
I thougth the bundle me was the fleece thing that just went around the edge of the seat and had a hole for the head. Maybe I got the name wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check out lands end. Any other companies that make good fleece buntings?

rottiemom
08-17-2004, 11:01 AM
I have the Kiddapotamous (sp?!) thing that was recommended in the most recent BBB. I love that thing. It's windproof nylon on one side & snuggly fleece on the inside. You put your baby inside the carseat, cover with a blanket the slide this thing over baby, seat & all. It then snaps in place with an adjustable strap.

I've only used it over the infant seat but it looks like it would be big enough to fit over a bigger seat. I've also used this in the stroller & along with a front carrier as it has elastic gathers to fit over all of these. It folds up to practically nothing & is easy to tote along as a just in case.

You can see it on the kiddapotamous website...but you have to spell kiddapotamous correctly which I doubt that I have! I found mine at a local, non chain baby store. I never saw it a BRU but Buy Buy Baby might have it as they carry other products from that manufacturer.

Good luck,

Nina