PDA

View Full Version : Perego Infant Seat- I need help!

trishb
08-17-2004, 05:03 PM
This is my first time here- I am not due until October, but I need to choose an infant seat soon! I want one that is compatible with a very lightweight stroller that is easy to maneuver. I have a bad back and can't lift anything heavy. I tried out a bunch of strollers and liked the Aria (lightest one I found). The only problem is that I don't know anything about the infant seat that goes with it... Does anyone know anything about this stuff?
Thanks!
Trish

Joolsplus2
08-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Yes, it's a pretty nice seat. It has a 5-pt harness and a front adjuster. I would find out if the SnugRide works with that stroller, or also think about getting a snap-n-go frame rather than a stroller to use with your infant seat, since it might be even lighter than the Aria (maybe you've looked into this? It never hurts to mention again, anyway, someone always wonders!).
An infant seat will not last very long...4-9 months on average, then you will need a convertible seat that rearfaces and forward faces. I don't know if that short time frame for using an infant seat makes any difference in your budget or style preferences, but sometimes people are upset to spend all that money on a seat that lasts such a short time.
Anyway, I believe Peg carsats are pretty nice, If it's light enough for you, then go for it.
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

ErinP
08-17-2004, 10:41 PM

amomiam
09-05-2004, 03:24 AM
I have the primo viagio car seat and the pliko stroller and love them both! I friend of mine bought the aria stroller instead of the pliko because of it being light weight and she isn't as happy. Reason being, the stroller is so light weight that diaper bags and purses hanging from it tip it over. She also said the storage compartment is too small. Hope that helps.

Momof3Labs
09-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Check the stroller board for Aria reviews - you might like this stroller as a car seat carrier, but it isn't a very impressive stroller once baby outgrows the car seat (not until toddler age, at least). The Kolcraft car seat carrier is about the same weight, and then you can buy something more appropriate when the car seat is outgrown.

Another thing to ponder - your baby will probably outweigh the Aria by 4 months of age, probably earlier, so you will have to be able to lift something heavier than the Aria pretty early on.

audys
09-10-2004, 01:17 AM
I have the Aria stroller and LOVE it - light weight, easy to fold and use, nice cup holders, easy to steer, etc. The car seat that goes with it (Peg Perego) has very high safety ratings but is expensive. My baby was comfortable in it, but outgrew it by length at 7 months of age. Flaws with the infant seat (Peg Perego) is that it is HEAVY (10-12 pounds not counting the baby) and the sun shade doesn't cover much. I love the travel system flexibility. If you have a bad back, be cautious about hauling around the car seat...

Audrey, mother to Graham born Feb '04

kcampo
09-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Bottom line, infant car seat & baby no matter what combination you choose will be heavy. One thing that wasn't mentioned is that carrying the infant seats can be awkward. You have to hold your arm out to the side or use both hands in front of you. As the baby gets heavier, you end up using your body for extra support. If you really can't lift anything heavy, you may consider foregoing the infant seat all together and start with a convertible like the Britax Roundabout. You don't get the convenience of the being able to move the baby around without disturbing them, but like other posters have said, this "honeymoon" period only lasts 4 to 8 months as kids outgrow the seats in either weight or height quickly. In the case of my 2nd son, he became too broad at the shoulders for the Primo Viaggo before he hit either the height or weight limits. With the convertible, the heaviest thing you have to lift is the baby and since they gain by the ounce, your muscles adjust quickly. If you're still not sure, take an unopened 10 lb bag of flour (2 if your feeling ambitious) wrapped in plastic (in case of leaks) to your local baby store. Put it in each of the seats you are considering and lift them from various heights (above your waist, from the floor) and then put the car seat w/flour baby in the strollers you are considering and wheel them around. Strollers react very differently when weighted down with car seats and babies. Also, be sure you try lifting the strollers up above your waist as if you'd lift it to a trunk or vehicle height. If you feel a strain, it may give you your answer. I guess you want to avoid the worst case where you lift your car seat baby and all, your back goes out, you can't move and you're miles from home. Don't feel embarrased about doing this experiment. One of the best places is Babies R Us. They usually have all the models on display and the sales associates never bother you. Good luck.

Kathe
Mom of 2 boys and baby #3 due 2/20/05

Also, a word to the wise, ALL the sunshades on all infant car seats never cover 100%. The majority are very flimsy and thin. Just carry a thin receiving blanket with you to drap over the canopy.