PDA

View Full Version : Triumph & MA height limits

tchrmom
08-18-2004, 01:31 AM
I'm looking to buy a car seat and I've narrowed it down to the Triumph and the Marathon. One web site I've visited listed the highest harness slot height at 15.5 for the Triumph and 18.0 for the MA. Does anyone know if these figures are correct? It's a rather large difference (2.5"). My dd is on the tall side and will buy the MA if she can use it longer than the Triumph.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Momof3Labs
08-18-2004, 08:35 AM
The Marathon will last a tall baby a LOT longer than a Triumph - I'd guess at least a couple of years more, depending on your child's growth pattern.

tchrmom
08-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your reply. After more research on the two car seats I've found that the top height limit for the MA is 49", but I haven't found what the top height limit is for the Triumph. Anyone know?

I'm much more willing to spend the big $$ to buy the MA if my dd will use it longer than the Triumph. Thanks again.

Joolsplus2
08-18-2004, 12:28 PM
The top height limit is probably listed at 40 inches for the triumph.
To give you an idea, the Triumph will last you till age 3 or 4, and the Marathon will last you till at least age 6, as those are the average heights I'm seeing for children outgrowing these seats. Also, the Marathon is FAR better for rearfacing, which gives optimal safety...see the link in my sig for more info. The Triumph is routinely outgrown by height for rearfacing at 12-16 months, the Marathon at age 2-4 (depending on when kids hit 33 pounds and must be turned ff).
The Triumph is a fine seat, though, and if you want to get it now and a harnessed combo booster later (with 17 inch top slots to allow for longer harnessing), then you might come out even on price in the end, or maybe a little lower....whatever works best for you is perfectly safe for your baby :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tchrmom
08-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info, Julie. I just can't find any info on the top height limit for the Triumph so your info is exactly what I need to make my decision on which seat to purchase.

I want a well-made car seat that will last for more than a year or two (my dd is 2 1/2 yrs) so it looks like I'll be purchasing the Marathon. Thanks again!

tchrmom
08-18-2004, 05:58 PM
I emailed Evenflo last night asking about the top height limit on the Triumph and was told that it's 40". The MA has a top height limit of 49".

For those of you deciding between the Triumph and the MA this info might help you in making your decision. It did for us, we're going with the MA since our dd will be able to use it much longer than the Triumph.

Good luck to everyone in their car seat search!

sally f
09-06-2004, 11:34 PM
My ds at 7 mos, 28" was already 1" from the top of the Evenflo. If your dd is on the tall side, I would definitely not recommend it. I don't know what the 40" means- total height? If so, my ds must have an extra long torso or that # can't be correct.

Joolsplus2
09-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Well, when you move a seat forward facing, the head can be way above the top of the seat. I know the rearfacing limit of the Triumph is when the head is lower than one inch from the top of the seatback, and that IS very, very short. When you can go till the shoulders are above the top slots or the tops of the ears are at the top of the seatback, that's usually about 40 inches of overall height (well, 38 to 43 inches in reality, depending on how the child is built).
Hope that helps a little :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx