PDA

View Full Version : Britax car seat in small-ish sedan

overseasbaby
08-18-2004, 12:57 PM
We drive a BMW 320i, and i am considering a britax Marathon or Wizard for when dS outgrows his newborn seat. My main concern is that it won't fit right. We live in Switzerland, and we won't be able to try it out in our car without shipping it back and forth. Plus we are hoping to buy it when we go home for a visit, and then just check it as a piece of luggage (out of the box so we don't get charged for excess baggage). so I won't be able to return it if it doesn't fit.
We plan on moving back to the States within a year, and then I will be driving a good-sized SUV (like an Expedition or Tahoe), and I read that the these seats fit well in those cars.
I should add that we don't have LATCH. Our car is a '93 (we are so frugal here, it isn't even funny). Plus since we are in Switzerland, I don't even think the new cars have LATCH, I know our friends' cars don't and both of them are loaded to the gills with extras.
I guess the main problem will be the driver's seat hitting it when DH drives, he is 6'4", and has to put the seat all the way back, plus lean it back to be comfy.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ro

Joolsplus2
08-18-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't see why a Marathon really wouldn't work if you put it behind YOU (unless you are really tall, too?)...it sits up quite high and sometimes takes up less space than even an infant seat (my dh had a bmw 323...I don't know if it's at least compbarable in size, but an MA worked in it...of course, we are little people compared to your DH, lol 5'7 and 5'9...)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

caroline9
08-18-2004, 06:37 PM
I just replied in another message about the honda civic, it is a small sedan and my DH who is 5'11, was unable to drive comfortably while the britax marathon was Rear-facing. When we switched to FF, we switched cars so he could get better mileage, and so I am not sure how it would work FF behind the driver's seat, but I think you'd be fine ...ours is now fF in a subaru impreza which may even be smaller in the rear seat, and he can drive (thoghu DD does kick the back of his seat.)!
Caroline
Mommy to Isabel 05/06/2003

new_mommy25
08-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Our Britax Marathon is rearfacing in the center seat using the seat belt. There is a ton of room. In fact, when the seat is in the middle the driver and passanger can move their seats back very comfortably. Otherwise it should fit fine behind the passanger seat. How old is your DS? DS is 11 months old so our seat is rear facing very upright, which is why we have so much room. If your DS cannot sit up very well than you would want it more reclined which takes up a bit more room. But that would only be for a few months anyway. I think I installed it it the upright position when DS was around 8-9 months.

Oops, I forgot to say that we have a 2003 Toyota Corolla.