PDA

View Full Version : LATCH in Infiniti FX

bababooey
08-18-2004, 04:26 PM
I am having a hard tim e installing a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio in an Infiniti FX35 using the LATCH anchors...Has anyone attempted this and (hopefully) had any luck? I've found the position of the LATCH anchors to be too far behind and below the seat to effectively attach the car seat.

Joolsplus2
08-18-2004, 05:01 PM
When you say "effectively" does that mean you can't reach the LATCH anchors at all?
Try lengthening the LATCH straps as much as possible, then clipping in one side, then put ALL your weight on the base and try to reach down to clip the other side. Use two people, even...extra weight and hands can be helpful.
Are you installing in a certified LATCH position? Sometimes the Center position is not LATCH equipped, and trying to reach over to the outboard positions will cause problems (and is usually against the seat or the car's manual).
But I totally understand deep LATCH anchors...my Toyota has VERY deep anchors, and rearfacing installation seemed to be impossible with my Marahon's short LATCH straps. I could only muster the strength to do it about half the time, and the other half I just used the seatbelt. There's really nothing wrong with using the seatbelt at all, so if you can't get the LATCH hooked, then by all means, use the seatbelt (and if you are attempting a center install, you may well have to use the seatbelt, anyway).

Maybe a real-life tech could help you out? www.nhtsa.dot.gov has a fitting inspection locator...

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

bababooey
08-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks...

I was attempting a center mount (since it is recommended)...I was concerned about the rear curtain airbags for either side...I can't figure out why carmakers wouldn't place the LATCH so that a center mount is possibe since every safety org recommends that position!

Anyway, the problem wasn't so much length of the straps as the angle at which the clips have to enter the space between the cushions...Long story! Anyway, I think we are going to have the seat professionally installed so I can relax about it!

Thanks again!

Joolsplus2
08-19-2004, 05:20 PM
I wonder if you'd have an easier time installing it in a proper LATCH position, then. You don't need to be concerned about curtain airbags unless the car or seat manual specifically says so (they only cover windows, and likely would not come down to even touch the car seat--to push it downward, say, and probably would even offer more protection to a child in an outboard seat than if you didn't have curtain airbags).

It's been a constant annoyance to cps techs that car makers aren't required to, and barely ever, put LATCH anchors designed for the center positon...how do they possibly expect parents to ever get it right?!?!?! Sigh...

Best of luck getting your seat properly installed, hopefully they'll teach you how to do it so that you can replicate a proper install for years to come :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx